This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Highly Turbocharging a Flow Restricted Two Cylinder Small Engine - Turbocharger Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the turbocharger development of a restricted 430 cm3 odd firing two cylinder engine. The downsized test engine used for development was specifically designed and configured for Formula SAE, SAE's student Formula race-car competition.
A well recognised problem in turbocharging Formula SAE engines arises from the rules, which dictate that the throttle and air intake restrictor must be on the suction side of the compressor. As a consequence of upstream throttling, oil from the compressor side seal assembly is drawn into the inlet manifold. The development process used to solve the oil consumption issue for a Garrett GT-12 turbocharger is outlined, together with cooling and control issues.
The development methodology used to achieve high pressure ratio turbocharging is discussed, along with exhaust manifold development and operating limitations. This includes experimental and modeling results for both pulse and constant pressure type turbocharging.
The engine completed extensive static and transient testing with no turbocharger issues after initial development. Peak values of 25 bar brake mean effective pressure (BMEP) were recorded while running on pump gasoline.
CitationAttard, W., Watson, H., and Konidaris, S., "Highly Turbocharging a Flow Restricted Two Cylinder Small Engine - Turbocharger Development," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1562, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1562.
- 1 ATTARD, W ‘Design, Performance and Analysis of a Downsized Highly Turbocharged 0.45L Formula SAE Engine’ Mech. Eng.Dept., Univ. of Melbourne 2006
- ATTARD, W. WATSON, H.C. ‘Development of a 430cc Constant Power Engine for FSAE Competition’ SAE paper 2006-01-0745 2006
- ATTARD, W. WATSON, H.C. KONIDARIS, S. ‘Highly Turbocharging a Restricted, Odd Fire, Two Cylinder Small Engine - Design, Lubrication, Tuning and Control’ SAE paper 2006-01-3637 2006
- ATTARD, W. WATSON, H.C. KONIDARIS, S. KHAN, M. ‘Comparing the Performance and Limitations of a Downsized Formula SAE engine in Normally Aspirated, Supercharged and Turbocharged Modes’ SAE paper 2006-32-0072 2006
- KARAGOUNIS, T. STRAUS ‘Development of a 90 bhp Turbocharged Engine for use in Formula SAE-A’ Mech.Eng. Dept, Univ. of Melbourne 2002
- MILIKEN, W.F. MILIKEN, D.L. ‘Race Car Vehicle Dynamics’ 1-56091-526-9 2005
- WATSON, H.C. MILKINS, E.E. ‘Power Generation Systems’ Lecture Notes University of Melbourne 2003
- WATSON, N. JANOTA, M.S. ‘Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine’ Macmillan Press 0-333-242904 1982
- MacINNES, H. ‘Turbochargers’ HP Books 0-912656-49-2 1984
- ROSENKRANZ, H.G. WATSON, H.C. BRYCE, W. LEWIS, A. ‘Driveability fuel consumption and emissions of 1.3 litre turbocharged spark ignition engine developed as a replacement for a 2 litre normally aspirated engine.’ Proc. I.Mech.E. 139 150 1986
- WATSON, H.C. MILKINS, E.E. ROBERTS, K. BRYCE, W. ‘Turbocharging for Fuel Efficiency SAE paper 830014 1983
- ATTARD, W. WATSON, H.C. STRYKER, P. ‘Design and Development of a Gasketless Cylinder Head/Block Interface for an Open Deck, Multi Cylinder, Highly Turbocharged Small Engine’ SAE paper 2006-32-0036 2006
- ROTHE, M. HEIDENREICH, T. SPICHER, U. SCHUBERT, A. ‘Knock Behaviour of SI Engines: Thermodynamic Analysis of Knock Onset Locations and Knock Intensities’ SAE paper 2006-01-0225 2006
- Automotive Engineering International ‘Traveling the Long Road to Gasoline Direct Injection’ SAE International June 2006
- LAKE, T. STOKES, J. MURPHY, R. OSBORNE, R. SCHAMEL, A. ‘Turbocharging Concepts for Downsized DI Gasoline Engines’ SAE paper 2004-01-0036 2004
- CAIRNS, A. BLAXILL, H. IRLAM, A. Exhaust Gas Recirculation for Improved Part and Full Load Fuel Economy in a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine’ SAE paper 2006-01-0047 2006
- HEYWOOD, J. ‘Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals’ 007028637X 1988
- GERTY, M. HEYWOOD, J. B. ‘An Investigation of Gasoline Engine Knock Limited Performance and the Effects of Hydrogen Enhancement’ SAE paper 2006-01-0228 2006
- TAYLOR, C.F. ‘The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice’ 1 2 0262700271. 1977
- OTOBE, Y. GOTO, O. MIYANO, H. KAWAMOTO, M. AOKI, A. OGAWA, T. ‘Honda Formula 1 Turbocharged V6 1.5 liter Engine’ SAE paper 890877 1989