This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of the Turbine Inlet Gas Temperature Influence on Turbocharger Performance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The influence of turbine inlet gas temperature on turbocharger performance is a topic discussed recently by many authors. Some studies present results on adiabatic operation by insulating the turbocharger from ambient conditions and report significant differences in compressor isentropic efficiency. Other authors perform non-adiabatic tests and report a significant influence on compressor isentropic efficiency only at the lowest turbocharger speed. In present work two different levels of gas temperature at the inlet of a Variable Geometry Turbine (VGT) have been tested at two different vane positions and two different corrected turbine speeds. Temperatures have been measured in the outer cases of turbine and compressor in order to determine the radiated power and their relative importance with respect to different power definitions obtained from turbocharger operative variables. The obtained results show the influence on both compressor and turbine isentropic efficiency. In addition, a thermodynamic analysis of the heat losses influence on the definition of isentropic efficiency has been performed in order to help in the analysis of the obtained results. The main conclusion is that diabatic operation occurs in the rear part of the compressor resulting in heat flux from the mass flow to the solid body. In the hot conditions, this heat flux is high enough to increase compressor efficiency (up to 4 points at some tested points) with respect to cold conditions. With respect to the turbine, small efficiency improvements have been observed in the hot test cases.
- J.R. Serrano - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- C. Guardiola - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- V. Dolz - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- A. Tiseira - CMT-Motores Térmicos. Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Spain
- C. Cervelló - Consellería de Cultura, Educación y Deporte. Generalitat Valenciana. Spain
CitationSerrano, J., Guardiola, C., Dolz, V., Tiseira, A. et al., "Experimental Study of the Turbine Inlet Gas Temperature Influence on Turbocharger Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1559, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1559.
- Watson N Janota MS. ‘Turbocharging the Internal Combustion Engine’ MacMillan Publishers Ltd. 1984
- Commerais M Hetet JF Chessé P Maiboom A. ‘Heat Transfers Analysis in a Turbocharger Compressor: Modelling and Experiments’ SAE paper 2006-01-0023 2006
- Shaaban S Seume JR. ‘Analysis of Turbocharger Non-Adiabatic Performance’ C647/027 Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging Woodhead Publishing and CRC Press LLC London May 2006
- Bohn D Heuer T Kusterer K ‘Conjugate Flow and Heat Transfer Investigation of a Turbo Charger’ Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 127 663 669 2005
- Yamagata A Nagai S Kawakubo T ‘Prediction and measurement of turbocharger compressor wheel temperature’ Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging Woodhead Publishing and CRC Press LLC London May 2006
- Shaaban S Seume J Berndt R Pucher H Linnhoff HJ ‘Part-load Performance Prediction of Turbocharged Engines’ C647/019. Proceedings of 8th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging Woodhead Publishing and CRC Press LLC London May 2006
- Galindo J Luján JM Serrano JR Dolz V Guilain S ‘Description of a heat transfer model suitable to calculate transient processes of turbocharged diesel engines with one-dimensional gas-dynamic codes Applied Thermal Engineering 26 66 76 2006
- Luján JM Bermúdez V Serrano JR Cervelló C ‘Test Bench for Turbocharger Groups Characterization’ SAE paper 2002-01-0163 2002
- Galindo J Serrano JR Guardiola C Cervelló C ‘Surge limits definition in a specific test bench for the characterization of automotive turbochargers’ Experimental Thermal and Fluid Science 30/5 449 462 2006
- Incropera FP DeWitt DP ‘Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer’ 5th Edition John Wiley & Sons Publishers ISBN: 0-471-38650-2 2002
- Guide to expression of uncertainty in measurement ISBN 92-67-10188-9 developed by BIPM (Bureau international des poids et mesures IEC (International Electrotecnical Commission), IFCC (International Federation of Clinical Chemistry), ISO (International Organization for Standardization), IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry), IUPAP (International Union of Pure and Applied Physics) and OIML (International Organization of Legal Metrology) 1995
- Hagelstein D Beyer B Seume J Rautenberg M Hasemann H ‘Heuristical view on the non-adiabatic coupling system of combustion engine and turbocharger’ C602/015/2002. Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Turbochargers and Turbocharging Professional Engineering Publishing Ltd. IMechE. London May 2002