This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Various Aspects of the Unsteady Aerodynamic Effects on Cars Under Crosswind Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Currently, the aerodynamic development of a car concentrates on steady state aerodynamic forces. Development is mainly performed in wind tunnels with very low turbulence. On the road we find other boundary conditions. Natural wind, other cars and trucks influence the yawing moment and the side force. During acceleration and deceleration the vehicle speed is not constant, the effect of unsteady aerodynamic forces is especially important and can not be neglected.
The approach to measure unsteady effects is to use a wind tunnel that has the capability to produce unsteady flow and in addition to instrument a car to drive under natural windy conditions.
The wind tunnel, with its reproducible conditions, allows measurements to be made with well defined frequencies of the approaching flow. This is important since the aerodynamic forces are not sensitive to all frequencies in the same way. One way to increase driving comfort is to reduce these forces at specific frequencies.
In addition a car is instrumented to acquire information about the resultant velocity, yaw angle, yawing moment and side force for different natural wind conditions. The topology of typical natural gusts can be analyzed and correlation between the aerodynamic forces and the yaw angle can be found.
CitationMayer, J., Schrefl, M., and Demuth, R., "On Various Aspects of the Unsteady Aerodynamic Effects on Cars Under Crosswind Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1548, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1548.
SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V116-6; Published: 2008-08-15
Number: V116-6; Published: 2008-08-15
- Characteristics of Atmospheric Turbulence near the Ground Part II: Single Point Data for Strong Winds 1990
- Baker C.J. The behaviour of road vehicles in unsteady cross winds Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 439 448 Elsevier Science 1993
- Bearman P.W. Mullarkey S.P. Aerodynamic forces on-road vehicles due to steady side winds and gusts Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College of Science
- Carlino G. Cogotti A. Simulation of transient phenomena with turbulence generation system in the Pininfarina wind tunnel SAE Technical Paper Series 2006
- Chadwick A. Garry K. Howell J. Transient aerodynamic characteristics of simple vehicle shapes by the measurement of surface pressures SAE Technical Paper Series 2002
- Cogotti A. Generation of a controlled level of turbulence in the pininfarina wind tunnel for the measurement of unsteady aerodynamics and aeroacoustics SAE Technical Papers Series 2003
- Cogotti A. Generation of a controlled turbulent flow in an automotive wind tunnel and its effect on car aerodynamics and aeroacoustics Wiedemann J. Hucho W.H. Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics III - Unsteady Flow Effects 150 176 FKFS Stuttgart 2004
- Cogotti A. Cardano D. Carlino G. Cogotti F. Aerodynamics and aeroacoustics of passenger cars in a controlled high turbulence flow: Some new results SAE Technical Paper Series 2005
- Cooper K.R. The effect of cross-winds on trains 127 136 1981
- Cooper K.R. Atmospheric turbulence with respect to moving ground vehicles 215 238 Elsevier Science Publishers B.V. 1984
- Davenport A.G. The application of statistical concepts to the wind loading of structures 449 472 1961
- Davenport A.G. The spectrum of horizontal gustiness near the ground in high winds Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 87 194 211 1961
- Docton M.K.R. Dominy R.G. Passenger vehicles in unsteady crosswinds School of Engineering, University of Durham
- Filippone A. Unsteady gust response of road vehicles ASME 125 806 812 2003
- Howell J. Unsteady aerodynamic loads on a road vehicle in windy conditions Wiedemann J. Hucho W.H. Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics III - Unsteady Flow Effects 133 149 FKFS Stuttgart 2004
- Howell J. Everitt K.W. Gust response of a high speed train model 81 89 1983
- Hucho W.H. Aerodynamik des Automobils, 5., völlig neu bearbeitete und erweiterte Auflage 2005 Deutsche Ausgabe
- Ryan A. Dominy R.G. The transient aerodynamic characteristics of a passenger vehicle passing through a cross wind-jet 1997
- Schrefl M. Mayer J. Tropea C. On the Set-Up of a Surface Pressure Measurement System for On-Road Tests and Preliminary Results Concerning Highway-Passing Maneuvers MIRA Conference 2006
- Széchényi E. Crosswind and its simulation Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics - Advanced Experimental Techniques 2000
- Tropea C. Characterisation of unsteady flows Wiedemann J. Hucho W.H. Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics III - Unsteady Flow Effects 19 44 FKFS Stuttgart 2004
- Wagner A. Ein Verfahren zur Vorhersage und Bewertung der Fahrerreaktion bei Seitenwind Institut für Verbrennungsmotoren und Kraftfahrwesen Stuttgart 2003