This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Knock Indexes Thresholds Setting Methodology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Gasoline engines can be affected, under certain operating conditions, by knocking combustions: this is still a factor limiting engines performance, and an accurate control is required for those engines working near the knock limit, in order to avoid permanent damage. HCCI engines also need a sophisticated combustion monitoring methodology, especially for high BMEP operating conditions.
Many methodologies can be found in the literature to recognize potentially dangerous combustions, based on the analysis of the in-cylinder pressure signal. The signal is usually filtered and processed, in order to obtain an index that is then be compared to the knock threshold level.
Thresholds setting is a challenging task, since usually indexes are not intrinsically related to the damages caused by abnormal combustions events. Furthermore, their values strongly depend on the engine operating conditions (speed and load), and thresholds must therefore vary with respect to speed and load.
The knock phenomenon is associated to a steep increase in the combustion speed: some of the indexes proposed in the literature are based on the evaluation of the Rate of Heat Release (ROHR) by means of the in-cylinder pressure signal. The filtering operation, in this case, is crucial: in this paper a novel methodology for ROHR filtering is proposed, consisting in the application of a zero-dimensional model based on Wiebe functions. The observation of reconstructed Heat Release traces leads to determine whether the combustion will lead to knock or not. The methodology allows defining a knock index which is essentially dependent on the knocking-combustion rate, and therefore operating conditions-independent. This means that it can be used as a knock intensity reference for other indexes, making it possible to associate to the given index for the given operating condition a proper threshold level.
CitationCorti, E. and Moro, D., "Knock Indexes Thresholds Setting Methodology," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1508, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1508.
- Fuerhapter A., Unger E., Piock W. F., Fraidl G. K., The New AVL CSI Engine HCCI Operation on a Multi-Cylinder Gasoline Engine, SAE Technical Paper, 2004-01-0551.
- Tsurushima T., Kunishima E., Asaumi Y., Aoyagi Y., The effect of Knock on Heat Loss in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines, SAE Technical Paper, 2002-01-0108.
- Nates R.J., Yates A.D.B., Knock Damage Mechanisms in Spark-Ignition Engines, SAE Technical Paper, 942064.
- Fitton J., Nates R., Knock Erosion in Spark-Ignition Engines, SAE Technical Paper, 962102.
- Syrimis M., Shigahara K., Assanis D. N., Correlation Between Knock intensity and Heat Transfer Under Light and Heavy Knocking Conditions in a Spark Ignition Engine, SAE Technical Paper, 960495.
- Syrimis M., Shigahara K., Assanis D. N., Piston Heat Transfer Measurements Under Varying Knock Intensity in a Spark-Ignition Engine, SAE Technical Paper, 971667
- Grandin B., Denbratt I., Bood J., Brackmann C., Bengtsson P. E., The Effect of Knock on the Heat Transfer in an S.I. Engine: Thermal Boundary Layer Investigation Using CARS Temperature Measurements and Heat Flux Measurements, SAE Technical Paper, 2000-01-0283.
- Grandin B., Denbratt I., Bood J., Brackmann C., Bengtsson P. E., Gogan A., Mauss F., Sunden B., Heat Release in the End-Gas Prior to Knock in Lean, Rich and Stoichiometric Mixtures With and Without EGR, SAE Technical Paper, 2002-01-0239.
- Bertola A., Stadler J., Walter T., Wolfer P., Pressure indication during knocking conditions, Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Internal Combustion Diagnostics, Baden-Baden, Germany, May 18-19, 2006.
- Millo F., Ferraro C. V., Knock in S.I. Engines: a Comparison Between Different Techniques for Detection and Control, SAE Technical Paper, 982477.
- Heywood J. B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, McGraw-Hill, 1988, ISBN 0-07-100499-8.
- Rothe M., Schubert A., Spicher U., Thermodynamic Approach for the Assesment of the Knock Behaviour of SI-Engines under Full Load Conditions, Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Internal Combustion Diagnostics, Baden-Baden, Germany, May 18-19, 2006.
- Chomiak J., Skold J., Fuel Effects on Energy Release and Knock Parameters in S.I. Engines, SAE Technical Paper, 952404.
- Heywood J. B., Higgins J. M., Watts P.A., Tabaczynski R. J., Development and Use of a Cycle Simulation to Predict SI Engine Efficiency and NOx Emissions, SAE Technical Paper, 790291, 1979.
- Ponti F., Serra G., Siviero C., A Phenomenological Combustion Model for Common Rail Multi-Jet Diesel Engines, ASME Paper, ICEF2004-951.
- Ponti F., Serra G., Siviero C., Combustion Development Investigation in a Common Rail Multi-Jet Diesel Engine With Up To 4 Injections Per Engine Cycle, ASME Paper, ICES2005-1034.
- Arsie I., Di Genova F., Pianese C., Sorrentino M., Rizzo G., Saraceni A., Cioffi P., Flauti G., Development and Identification of Phenomenological Models for Combustion and Emissions of Common Rail Multi-Jet Diesel Engines, SAE Technical Paper, 2004-01-1877.
- Roelle M. J., Shaver G. M., Gerdes J. C., Tackling the Transition: A Multi-Mode Combustion Model of SI and HCCI for Mode Transition Control, Proceedings of IMECE04, 2004 International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition, Anaheim, California, USA, November 13-19, 2004.
- Worret R., Bernhardt S., Schwarz F., Spicher U., Application of Different Cylinder Pressure Based Knock Detection Methods In Spark Ignition Engines, SAE Technical Paper, 2002-01-1668.
- Burgdorf K., Chomiak J., A New Knock Form - an Experimental Study, SAE Technical Paper, 982589.
- Bradley D., Kalghatgi G. T., Golombok M., Fuel Blend and Mixture Strength Effects on Autoignition Heat Release Rates and Knock Intensity in S.I. Engines, SAE Technical Paper, 962105.
- Cavina N., Corti E., Solieri L., A Heat Flux Damages-related Index, ASME paper, ICES2006-1425
- Corti E., Solieri L., Rapid Control Prototyping System for Combustion Control, SAE Technical Paper, 2005-01-3754.