This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Investigation in Rotor Motion and Elasto-Hydrodynamic Rotor Bearing Behavior of a Rotary Engine Using Flexible Multi-Body Dynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of the present investigation is to develop a suitable simulation method for dynamic analysis of rotary engines using Finite Element Method (FEM) and for flexible multi-body dynamics using AVL EXCITE. The engine analyzed is the current MAZDA gasoline engine with two rotors.
The general approach and the tools applied are well established for reciprocating combustion engines, but the requirements concerning the simulation of rotary engines are very different due to the higher bearing loads, rotor guidance in the housing by a gear and the special requirements for axial movement of the rotor relative to the housing to ensure sealing.
Detailed investigations are made for the simulation of the complex dynamics of the moving engine parts with respect to the interaction between flexible models of rotors, eccentric shaft and housing using axial contact between rotors and housing as well as detailed elasto-hydrodynamic bearing models (EHD) for the rotor bearings.
The paper presents the problem definition, modeling technique, the obtained results and the main conclusions of the investigation.
CitationResch, T., Schweiger, C., Offner, G., and Miyauchi, Y., "Numerical Investigation in Rotor Motion and Elasto-Hydrodynamic Rotor Bearing Behavior of a Rotary Engine Using Flexible Multi-Body Dynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1459, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1459.
- Ohkubo M. Tashima S. Shimizu R. Fuse S. Ebino H. Developed Technologies of the New Rotary Engine (RENESIS) SAE Paper Nr. 2004-01-1790 , SAE World Congress Detroit 2004
- Offner G. Multi-body Dynamics and Numerical Methods - Application for Internal Combustion Engines 2005
- Offner G. Lechner M. Mahmoud K. Priebsch H. H. Surface Contact Analysis in Axial Thrust Bearings Based on Different Numerical Interpolation Approaches ImechE, J. o. Multi-body Dynamics 2006
- Priebsch H.H. Resch, T. Simulation and Optimisation of Engine Noise - Predictive Input for the Development Process RIETER NVH Congress Winterthur 2003
- Priebsch H.H. Herbst H. Offner G. Sopouch M. Numerical Simulation and Verification of Mechanical Noise Generation in Combustion Engines ISMA Leuven 2002
- Hilber M. H. Hughes T. J. R. Taylor R. L. Improved Numerical Dissipation for Time Integration Algorithms in Structural Dynamics Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics 1977
- Newmark N. M. A Method of Computation for Structural Dynamics Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division 1959
- Roth P. M. 2002