This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Guiding Industrial Energy Management by Measuring Savings from Energy-Efficient Practices
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Efforts to measure industrial energy-efficiency savings have been made difficult by changing weather and production between pre- and post-retrofit periods, both of which are frequently major drivers of plant energy use. This paper demonstrates a methodology for measuring energy-efficiency savings using multivariable change-point models and readily available utility, weather and production data. These models account for changing weather and production between pre- and post-retrofit periods and allow for disaggregation of savings into constituent components. Disaggregating savings provides resolution for understanding the efficacy of individual projects when several projects are implemented together and to uncover the synergies weather and production have on energy efficiency projects. This method is demonstrated with two case studies. These case studies are of actual energy assessments and demonstrate the importance of adjusting for weather and production between the pre- and post-retrofit periods and how plant-wide savings can be disaggregated to evaluate the effectiveness of individual retrofits. In addition, the method identifies the time-dependence of savings and how insight into unexpected results can be interpreted from these models.
CitationEger, C. and Kissock, J., "Guiding Industrial Energy Management by Measuring Savings from Energy-Efficient Practices," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1336, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1336.
SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Materials and Manufacturing
Number: V116-5; Published: 2008-08-15
Number: V116-5; Published: 2008-08-15
- Sandberg, P. Söderström, M. 2003 “Industrial Energy Efficiency: The Need for Investment Decision Support from a Manager Perspective” Energy Policy 31 15 1623 1634
- De Groot, H.L.F. Verhoef, E. Nijkamp, P. 2001 “Energy Savings by Firms: Decision-making, Barriers, and Policies” Energy Economics 23 6 717 740
- Ramestohl, S. Clases, C. Prose, F. 1997 “Duplicating the Success - From Positive Examples to Socio-economic Marketing Strategies for Greater Energy Efficiency in Industry.” Proceedings of the European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ECEEE) Summer Study Spindleruv Mlýn, Czechia June 9-14
- United States Department of Energy 1996 “North American Energy Measurement and Verification Protocol” U.S. Department of Energy Washington, D.C.
- Efficiency Valuation Organization 2002 “International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol: Concepts and Options for Determining Energy and Water Savings: Volume 1” www.ipmvp.org
- United States Department of Energy 1996 “Measurement and Verification Guidelines for Federal Energy Projects” U.S. Department of Energy Washington, D.C.
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers 2002 “Measurement of Energy and Demand Savings” Guideline 14-2002 Atlanta, Georgia
- Fels, M. 1986 “PRISM: An Introduction” Energy and Buildings 9 5 18
- Kissock, K. Reddy, A. Claridge, D. 1998 “Ambient-Temperature Regression Analysis for Estimating Retrofit Savings in Commercial Buildings” ASME Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 120 3 168 176
- Boyd, G. Tolley, G. Pang, J. 2002 “Plant Level Productivity, Efficiency, and Environmental Performance of the Container Glass Industry” Environmental and Resource Economics 23 1 September 29 43
- Boyd, G.A. 2005 “A Method for Measuring the Efficiency Gap between Average and Best Practice Energy Use” Journal of Industrial Ecology 9
- Kissock, K. Eger, B. 2006 “Measuring Industrial Energy Savings” Society of Automotive Engineers World Congress and Exposition Detroit, MI April 3-6
- Kissock, K. Seryak, J. 2004 “Understanding Manufacturing Energy Use Through Statistical Analysis” National Industrial Energy Technology Conference Houston, TX April 21-22
- Kissock, K. Seryak, J. 2004 “Lean Energy Analysis: Identifying, Discovering And Tracking Energy Savings Potential” Advanced Energy and Fuel Cell Technologies Conference Society of Manufacturing Engineers Livonia, MI October 11-13
- Seryak, J. Kissock, K. 2005 “Lean Energy Analysis: Guiding Energy Reduction Efforts to Theoretical Minimum Energy Use” ACEEE Summer Study on Energy in Industry West Point, NY July 19-22
- Kissock, J.K. Haberl J. Claridge, D.E. 2003 “Inverse Modeling Toolkit (1050RP): Numerical Algorithms” ASHRAE Transactions 109
- Kissock, K. Haberl, J. Claridge, D. 2002 “Development of a Toolkit for Calculating Linear, Change-point Linear and Multiple-Linear Inverse Building Energy Analysis Models” Final Report, ASHRAE 1050-RP November
- Haberl. J. Sreshthaputra, A. Claridge, D.E. Kissock, J.K. 2003 “Inverse Modeling Toolkit (1050RP): Application and Testing” ASHRAE Transactions 109
- Kissock, J.K. 1997 “Tracking Energy Use and Measuring Chiller Retrofit Savings Using WWW Weather Data and New ETracker Software” Cool Sense National Forum on Integrated Chiller Retrofits San Francisco, CA June 23-24
- Kissock, J.K. 1999 “ETracker Software and Users Manual” University of Dayton Dayton, Ohio http://www.engr.udayton.edu/weather/
- EPA 2006 United States Environmental Protection Agency, Energy Star Buildings Program http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=labeled_buildings.showBuildingSearch
- Kissock, J.K. 2005 “Energy Explorer Software and User's Guide” University of Dayton Dayton, Ohio http://www.engr.udayton.edu/faculty/jkissock/http/RESEARCH/informaticn.htm
- Kissock, J.K. 1999 “UD EPA Average Daily Temperature Archive” http://www.engr.udayton.edu.weather
- United States Department of Energy 2006 Industrial Assessment Center Program, Industrial Technologies Program http://www.eere.energy.gov/industry/bestpractices/iacs.html
- University of Dayton Industrial Assessment Center 2005 “Assessment Report 726” University of Dayton Dayton, Ohio