This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performance Test Results of a New On Board Emission Measurement System Conformed with CFR Part 1065
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new on-board portable emission measurement system (PEMS) for gaseous emissions has been designed and developed to meet CFR Part 1065 requirements. The new system consists of a heated flame ionization detector (HFID) for the measurement of total hydrocarbon, a heated chemiluminescence detector (HCLD) for the measurement of NOx, and a heated non-dispersive infra-red detector (HNDIR) for the measurement of CO and CO2. The oxygen interference and relative sensitivity of several hydrocarbon components have been optimized for the HFID. The CO2 and H2O quenching effect on the HCLD have been compensated using measured CO2 and H2O concentration. The spectral overlap and molecular interaction of H2O on the HNDIR measurement has also been compensated using an independent H2O concentration measurement. The basic performance of the new on-board emission measurement system has been verified accordingly with CFR part 1065 and all of the performances have met with CFR part 1065 requirement. The new on-board emission measurement system has been also compared with conventional laboratory instrumentation. The results showed good correlation with that of a laboratory system.
CitationNakamura, H., Akard, M., Porter, S., Kihara, N. et al., "Performance Test Results of a New On Board Emission Measurement System Conformed with CFR Part 1065," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1326, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1326.
- Jetter J. Maeshiro S. Hatcho S. Klebba R. Development of an On-Board Analyzer for Use on Advanced Low Emission Vehicles SAE paper 2000-01-1140
- Truex T. J. Collins J. F. Jetter J. Knight B. Hayashi T. Kishi N. Suzuki N. Measurement of Ambient Roadway and Vehicle Exhaust Emission - An Assessment of Instrument Capability and Initial On-Road Test Results with an Advanced Low Emission Vehicle SAE paper 2000-01-1142
- Kondo Y. Kobayashi S. Moriguchi Y. Tanabe K. Analysis of the influence of vehicle travel activity at actual driving condition on fuel economy and exhaust emission Proceedings of JSAE, No.20025559 2002
- Takada Y. Miyazaki T. Iida N. NOx emission from a light duty freight vehicle in real world Proceedings of JSAE, No.20025603 2002
- Miyazaki T. Takada Y. Iida N. Development of on-board system to measure running condition and actual NOx emissions from freight vehicle SAE paper 2002-01-0613 2002
- Takada Y. Miyazaki T. Iida N. Study on local air pollution caused by NOx from diesel freight vehicle SAE paper 2002-01-0651 2002
- Senda J. Okui N. Tsukamoto T. Fujimoto H. On-Board Measurement of Engine Performance and Emissions in Diesel Vehicle Operated with Bio-diesel Fuel SAE paper 2004-01-0083 2004
- Unal A. Frey H. C. Rouphail N. M. Quantification of Highway Vehicle Emissions Hot Spots Based upon On-Board Measurements J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc. 54 130 140 2004
- Spears M. W. Advancing the Development of Portable Emission Measurement Systems Proceedings of the 12th CRC On-Road Vehicle Emission Workshop San Diego, CA 2002
- Cadle S. H. Croes B. E. Minassian F. Natarajan M. Tierney E. J. Lawson D. R. Real-World Vehicle Emissions: A Summary of the Thirteenth Coodinating Research Council On-Road Vehicle Emissions J. Air & Waste Manage. Assoc. 54 8 23 2004
- Nakamura H. Kihara N. Adachi M. Nakamura S. Ishida K. Development of an On-board Measurement System Utilizing a Heated-type NDIR(in Japanese with English summary) Proceedings of JSAE, No.20025258 2002
- Nakamura H. Kihara N. Adachi M. Ishida K. Development of a Wet-based NDIR and Its Application to On-board Emission Measurement System SAE paper 2002-01-0612
- Nakamura H. Kihara N. Adachi M. Nakamura S. Ishida K. Development of hydrocarbon analyzer using heated-NDIR method and its application to on-board mass emission measurement system JSAE Review 2003 24 127 133
- Nakamura H. Asano I. Adachi M. Senda J. Analysis of Pulsating Flow Measurement of Engine Exhaust by Pitot Tube Flow meter. Trans. Jpn Soc. Mech. Eng. B 70 1673 1678 2004
- Nakamura H. Asano I. Adachi M. Senda J. Analysis of Pulsation Flow Measurement of Engine Exhaust by Pitot Tube Flow meter Int. J. Engine Res. 6 1 9 2005