This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Concept for Ultra-Compact Automotive HSDI Diesel Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Department of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (DIMeC) of the University of Modena and Reggio is developing a new concept of small capacity HSDI 2-Stroke Diesel engine, featuring a specifically designed combustion system. The paper reviews the 2-Stroke engine design process, supported by CFD simulations, both 1D and multi-dimensional.
A four stroke automobile Diesel engine is taken as a reference for a theoretical comparison in terms of brake performance at both full and partial load. This comparison shows the potential of the 2-Stroke, as an ultra-compact, efficient and clean engine.
CitationCantore, G. and Mattarelli, E., "A New Concept for Ultra-Compact Automotive HSDI Diesel Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1253, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1253.
- Heywood, J.B. Sher, E. “ The Two-Stroke Cycle Engine ” SAE Warrendale, PA 1999
- Nomura, K Nakamura, N. “Development of a New Two-Stroke Engine with Poppet-Valves: Toyota S-2 Engine”, A New Generation of Two-Stroke Engines for the Future? Duret P. 53 62 Proceedings of the International Seminar IFP Rueil-Malmaison, France November 29-30 1993
- Knoll, R. “AVL Two-Stroke Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 980757 1998
- Yamaha Motor official announcement data “Environment-Friendly SD (Super Diesel) Engine Developed” March 23 1999
- Daihatsu Motor Co., Ltd The 61st International Motor Show (IAA) Frankfurt 2005 www.daihatsu.com 2005
- FEV Engine Technology website www.fev.com 2005
- DeltaHawk Diesel Engines Website www.deltahawkengines.com
- Michael Zoche Antriebstechnik Website www.zoche.de
- Diesel Air Limited Website www.dair.co.uk
- Wilksch Airmotive Limited Website www.wilksch.com
- Hata, N. Lio, T. “Improvement of Two-Stroke Engine Performance with the Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS)” SAE Paper 810922 1981
- Blair, G.P. “ Design and Simulation of Two-Stroke Engines ” SAE Warrendale, PA 1996
- Fontanesi, S Gagliardi, V. Malaguti, S. Mattarelli, E. “Multidimensional Cycle Analysis of a Novel 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 07PFL-387 SAE World Congress & Exhibition April 16-19 2007 Detroit, MI, USA
- Balestrazzi, D. Borghi, M. Fontanesi, S. Mattarelli, E. “The Influence of Swirl Control Strategies on the Intake Flow in Four Valve HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2004-01-0112 2004
- Cantore, G. Fontanesi, S Gagliardi, V. Malaguti, S. “Effects of Relative Port Orientation on the In-Cylinder Flow Patterns in a Small Unit Displacement HSDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2005-32-0093 . SAE 2005 Transactions - Journal of Engines 2005
- Li, Y. Xu, J. Gong, X. Liu, S. Xu, S. “Effects of Combination and Orientation of Intake Ports on Swirl Motion in Four-Valve DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-1823 2000
- Hermann, H. Dürnholtz, M. “Development of a DI Diesel Engine with Four Valves for Passenger Cars” SAE Paper 950808 1995
- De Marco, C.A. Mattarelli, E. Paltrinieri, F. Rinaldini, C.A. “A New combustion System for 2-Stroke HSDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 07PFL-386 SAE World Congress & Exhibition April 16-19 2007 Detroit, MI, USA
- Gamma Technologies “GT-Power Users Manual (version 6.1)” September 29 2004 Westmont, IL
- Cantore, G. Fontanesi, S. Mattarelli, E. “A new concept of supercharging applied to HSDI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2001-01-2485 SAE 2001 Transactions - Journal of Engines