This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Thermal Behavior of a Complete Exhaust System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A complete numerical and experimental investigation has been carried out on the thermal behavior of a diesel car exhaust system aimed to develop design tools for the exhaust system and thermal shields.
Both one and three dimensional analysis have been conducted by means of commercial codes.
The one dimensional model calculates the exhaust gas temperature evolution, from the engine to the tail pipe, due to convection with the system walls and estimates convective heat transfer coefficients between walls and external ambient. Starting data have been the inlet exhaust gas temperature, as measured on a complete vehicle, and average ambient air velocity, as estimated using external aerodynamics simulations.
Two three-dimensional models of the complete car underbody have been built. One is a FEM model that calculates radiation between components and uses fixed thermal coefficients for the convection. The second one is a complete CFD model, intended to precisely evaluate convective phenomena. Both models allow to detect the most critical points in terms of higher temperatures.
A prototype car has been instrumented to record the temperatures of the exhaust gas and exhaust system surface in different locations and the skin temperatures of many underbody components. These data have been used to validate and evolve the models.
CitationFortunato, F., Caprio, M., Oliva, P., D'Aniello, G. et al., "Numerical and Experimental Investigation of the Thermal Behavior of a Complete Exhaust System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1094, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1094.
- Wendland D. W. Automobile Exhaust-System Steady-State Heat Transfer SAE Paper 931085 1993
- Liu Z. Hoffmanner A. L. Skowron J. F. Miller, M. J. Exhaust Transient Temperature Response SAE Paper 950617 1995
- Wagner J. R. Marotta E. E. Darren M. C. Ghone Dawson W. Coolant Flow Control Strategies for Automotive Thermal Management System SAE Paper 2002-01-0713 2002
- Battiston P. A. Alkidas A. Kapparos D. J. Temperature and Heat Transfer Measurements in the Exhaust System of a Diesel-Powered Light Duty Vehicle 2003 Vehicle Thermal Management Systems Conference Proceedings, IMechE Paper C599/100/2003, VTMS 6 Conf. Proc. 485 510 2003
- Fortunato F. Damiano F. Di Matteo L. Oliva P. Il supporto dell'analisi virtuale nella predizione dei flussi termici nel sottocofano di un veicolo 58 7 8 120 125 2005
- Fortunato F. Oliva P. Imparato E. Sgulò S. Manca O. Thermo-Fluid-Dynamic Simulation of Transient Behaviors in Internal Combustion Engines Cooling Systems Atti del 2003 FLUENT Users' Group Meeting 21 ottobre 2003
- Fortunato F. Giaquinto A. Manca O. Nardini S. Quadrini F. 531 536 Napoli 2006
- Kapparos D. J. Foster D. E. Rutland C. J. Sensitivity Analysis of a Diesel Exhaust System Thermal Model SAE Paper 2004-01-1131 2004
- Bianco N. Fortunato F. Oliva P. Pianese V. Manca, O. III 1999 2010 Genova Settembre 2004
- Alkidas A. C. Battiston P. A. Kapparos D. J. Thermal Studies in the Exhaust System of a Diesel-Powered Light-Duty Vehicle SAE Paper 2004-01-0050 2004
- Stamelos A. M. Koltsakis G. C. Kandylas I. P. Pontikakis G. N. Computer Aided Engineering in Diesel Exhaust After-Treatment Systems Design Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. 213 545 560 1999
- Shayler P. J. Hayden D. J. Ma T. Exhaust System Heat Transfer and Catalytic Converter Performance SAE Paper 1999-01-0453 1999
- Zhao Y. Winterbone D. E. A Study of Warm-Up Processes in SI Engine Exhaust Systems SAE Paper 931094 1993
- Kandylas I. P. Stamatelos A. M. Engine Exhaust System Design Based on Heat Transfer Computation Energy Conversion & Management 40 1057 1072 1999
- Setlur P. Wagner J. Eberth J. Dawson D. Marotta E. E. Advanced Automotive Thermal Management Systems - Modeling and Control IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics 10 210 220 2005
- Ebadian M. A. Dong Z. F. Forced Convection, Internal Flow in Ducts Rohsenow W. M. Hartnett J. P. Cho Y. I. Handbook of Heat Transfer McGraw-Hill New York 1998
- Fluent Incorporated User Manual Lebanon, New Hampshire 2003
- Coelho P. J. Carvalho M. G. A Conservative Formulation of the Discrete Transfer Method J. Heat Transfer 119 118 128 1997