This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Three-Way Catalyst with the Simultaneous Function of HC-Trapping and Ni-Free H2S Control
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
H2S, which causes the rotten egg odor, has been the one of gaseous components in interest and suppressed by the use of NiO as a scavenger since the start of automotive catalysts application to gasoline emission control in 1970s. Ni-free H2S suppression has been one of topics in gasoline emission control, because the controversial NiO is not permitted in some regions. It was found that some zeolites had unique H2S trapping capability from the powder screening works for the alternative H2S scavenger to NiO.
By combining the well-known property of HC-trapping ability of zeolites, zeolite-containing three-way catalysts were developed to suppress H2S as well as cold-start HC emission for gasoline engine powered vehicle.
The newly developed catalyst showed equivalent H2S suppression ability to the conventional NiO-containing catalyst at engine and vehicle test cycles that consisted of sulfur storage and release steps. Zeolite type was selected with respect to H2S trapping capability and thermal stability. The catalyst containing zeolite decreased the cold-start emissions that were ascribed to the improved HC trapping and TWC performance of the zeolite-containing catalyst.
CitationHa, J., Song, J., and Han, H., "Development of Three-Way Catalyst with the Simultaneous Function of HC-Trapping and Ni-Free H2S Control," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1059, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-1059.
- Ernest Michael V. “Development of Beaded Three-way Catalyst with Reduced H 2 S Emissions” SAE 892042 1989
- von Carlowitz F. J. Henk M. G. Gagneret P. H. “Use of Mass Spectrometer to Continuously Monitor H 2 S and SO 2 in Automotive Exhaust” SAE 900272 1990
- Collier, C. Hillebrand, G. Kelly, S. Brett, G. Elliott, D. Blair, K. Sturgeon, P. Tancell Brogan M. “Investigation into Testing and Controlling Emissions of Hydrogen Sulfide from Gasoline Vehicles” SAE 2001-01-3530 2001
- Higashiyama Kazutoshi Nagayama Toshiaki Nagano Masami Nakagawa Shinji Tominaga Shigeru Murakami Kazumi Hamada Ikuhisa “A Catalyzed Hydrocarbon Trap Using Metal-impregnation Zeolite for SULEV Systems” SAE 2003-01-0815 2003
- Volodin Alexander M. Bolshov Vadim A. Panov Gennady I. “The Role of Surface α-Oxygen in Formation of Cation Radicals at Benzene Adsorption on ZSM-5 Zeolte” J. Phys. Chem. 98 7548 7550 1994
- Kucherov, A. V. Slinkin, A. A. Kondratyev, D. A. Bondarenko, T. N. Rubinstein, A. M. Minachev, Kh. M. J. Mol. Catal. 37 107 1986
- Vedrine, J. C. Auroux, A. Boils, V. Dejaifve, P. Naccache, C. Wierzchowski, P. Derouane, E., G. Nagy, J., B. Gilson, J. P. van Hooff, J. H. C. van Den Berg, J. P. Wolthuizen, J. J Catal. 59 248 1979
- Yasyerli Sena Dogu Gulsen Dogu Timur Catal. Today 117 271 278 2006