This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lower Temperature Limits for Cold Starting of Diesel Engine with a Common Rail Fuel Injection System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the most challenging problems in diesel engines is to reduce unburned HC emissions that appear as (white smoke) during cold starting. In this paper the research is carried out on a 4-cylinder diesel engine with a common rail fuel injection system, which is able to deliver multiple injections during cold start. The causes of combustion failure at lower temperature limits are investigated theoretically by considering the rate of heat release. The results of this clearly indicate that in addition to low cranking engine speed, heat transfer and blow-by losses at lower ambient temperatures, fuel injection events would contribute to the failure of combustion. Also, combustion failure takes place when the compression temperature is lower than some critical value. Based on these results, split-main injection strategy was applied during engine cold starting and validated by experiments in a cold room at lower ambient temperatures.
CitationZhong, L., Gruenewald, S., Henein, N., and Bryzik, W., "Lower Temperature Limits for Cold Starting of Diesel Engine with a Common Rail Fuel Injection System," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0934, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0934.
SI and CI Engine Cold Start and Transient Emissions and Control
Number: SP-2092; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2092; Published: 2007-04-16
- Bosch, R., “Diesel Engine Management”, 2nd edition, 1999.
- Bosch, R., “Automotive Handbook”, 4th edition, 1996.
- Alt, N., Sonntag, H. D., Heuer, S., and Thiele, R., “Diesel Engine Cold Start Noise Improvement”, SAE Paper 2005-01-2490, 2005.
- Badami, M., Mallamo, F., Millo, F. and Rossi, E. E., “Influence of Multiple Injection Strategies on Emissions, Combustion Noise and BSFC of a DI Common Rail Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 2002-01-0503, 2002.
- Badami, M., Nuccio, P. and Trucco, G., “Influence of Injection Pressure on the Performance of a DI Diesel Engine with a Common Rail Fuel Injection System”, SAE Paper 1999-01-0193, 1999.
- Corcione, F. E., Valieco, B. M., Corcione, G. E. and Lavorgna, M., “Potential of Multiple Injection Strategy for Low Emission Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 2002-01-1150.
- Gill, K., Marriner, C., Sison, K. and Zhao, H., “In-cylinder Studies of Multiple Diesel Fuel Injection in a Single Cylinder Optical Engine”, SAE Paper 2005-01-0915, 2005.
- Bielaczyc, P., Merkisz, J. and Pielecha, J., “Investigation of Exhaust Emissions From DI Diesel Engine During Cold and Warm Start”, SAE 2001-01-1260, 2001.
- Girotra, M., Zhong, L.R., Henein, N. A. and Bryzik, W., “Split Injection Strategy for Prompt Cold Starting and Low White Smoke Emissions”, ICES 2005-01-1100, ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division, Chicago, 2005.
- Osuka, I., Nishimura, M., Tanaka, Y. and Miyaki, M., “Benefits of New Fuel Injection System Technology on Cold Startability of Diesel Engines - Improvement of Cold Startability and White Smoke Reduction by Means of Multi-injection with Common Rail Fuel System (ECD-U2)”, SAE Paper 940586, 1994.
- Ueda, T., Zhang, L., and Gabe, M., “Improvement of the Cold Startability of Common Rail Injection System by Pilot Injection in a HD Diesel Engine”, SAE Paper 1999-08- 0355, 1999.
- Zheng, J., Miller, D. L., Cernansky, N. P., Liu, D., Li, Y., Shang, X., and Zhang, M.,“Two types of Autoignition and Their Engine Appilcations”, SAE 2005-01-0178, 2005.
- Zhong, L.R., Henein, N. A. and Bryzik, W., “Effect of Smoothing The Pressure Trace On The Interpretation Of Experimental Data For Combustion In Diesel Engines”, SAE Paper 2004-01-0931, 2004.
- Zhong, L.R., Liu, H.Q., Henein, N.A. and Bryzik, W., “A Mathematical Model for the cranking Period in the Cold Start of Diesel Engines”, IMECE 2003-43990,2003 ASME International Mechanical Engineing Congress and R&RD Expo, Washington D.C., USA, 2003.
- Zhong, L.R., Singh, I.P., Han, J., Lai, M-C. and Henein, N. A., “Effect of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation in the Injection Pressure in a Common Rail Diesel Injection System on Engine Performance”, SAE 2003-01-0699, 2003.
- Zhong, L.R., “A Control Strategy For Cold Starting Of A Diesel Engine With Common Rail Fuel Injection System”, Ph.D Dissertation, Mechanical Engineering Department, Wayne State University, 2006.
- Zhong, L.R., Henein, N.A. and Bryzik, W., “Based Cold-Start Control Strategy for a Diesel Engine with Common Rail Fuel System at Different Ambient Temperatures”, SAE #07PFL-595, 2007.
- Henein, N. A., Lai, M-C., Taraza, D. and Chalhoub, N., “Exploration of the Contribution of the Start/Stop Transients in HEV Operation and Emissions,” SAE 2000-01-3086