This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Regulated and Unregulated Emissions in an HSDI Diesel Engine under the LTC Regime
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Several mechanisms are discussed to understand the formation of both regulated and unregulated emissions in a high speed, direct injection, single cylinder diesel engine using low sulphur diesel fuel. Experiments were conducted over a wide range of injection pressures, EGR rates, injection timings and swirl ratios. The regulated emissions were measured by the standard emission equipment. Unregulated emissions such as aldehydes and ketones were measured by high pressure liquid chromatography and hydrocarbon speciation by gas chromatography. Particulate mass was measured with a Tapered Element Oscillating Microbalance (TEOM). Analysis was made of the sources of different emission species and their relationship with the combustion process under the different operating conditions. Special attention is given to the low temperature combustion (LTC) regime which is known to reduce both NOx and soot. However the HC, CO and unregulated emissions increased at a higher rate.
CitationNatti, K., Bhattacharyya, A., Kastury, A., Henein, N. et al., "An Analysis of Regulated and Unregulated Emissions in an HSDI Diesel Engine under the LTC Regime," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0905, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0905.
- Glassman, Irvin. “Combustion” Second Academic Press, Inc.
- Griffiths, J.F. Barnard, J.A. “Flame and Combustion” Third Blackie Academic & Professional
- Leppard, W. R. “The Autoignition Chemistry of n-Butane: An Experimental Study,” SAE 872150
- Iijima, A. Yoshida, K. Shoji, H. “A Comparative Study of HCCI and ATAC Combustion Characteristics Based on Experimentation and Simulations - Influence of the Fuel Octane Number and Internal EGR on Combustion,” SAE 2005-01-3732
- Cernansky, N.P. Green, R.M. Pitz, W.J. Westbrook, C.K. 1986 “Chemistry of Fuel Oxidation Preceding End-gas Autoignition,” Combust. Sci. and Technol. 50 3 25
- Zheng, J. Miller, D. L. Cernansky, P. N. Liu, Dexin. Li, Yong. Shang, X. Zhang, M. “Two Types of Autoignition and Their Engine Applications,” SAE 2005-01-0178
- Griffiths, J. F. Hughes, K. J. Schreiber, M. Poppe, C. “A Unified Approach to the Reduced Kinetic Modeling of Alkane Combustion,” Combust. Flame 99 533 540 1994
- Sohm, V. Kong, S. C. Foster, D. E. Morikawa, Takeshi. Iida, M. “A Computational Investigation into the Cool Flame Region in HCCI Combustion,” SAE 2004-01-0552
- Leppard, W. R. “A Comparision of Olefin and Paraffin Autoignition Chemistries: A Motored-Engine Study,” SAE 892081
- Higgins, B. Siebers, D. Aradi, A. “Diesel-Spray Ignition and Premixed-Burn Behavior,” SAE 2000-01-0940
- Flynn Patrick F. Durrett Russell P. Hunter Gary L. Zur Loye Axel O. Akinyemi. O. C. Dec. John E. Westbrook. Charles K. “Diesel Combustion: An Integrated View Combining laser Diagnostics, Chemical Kinetics, And empirical Validation” SAE 1999-01-0509
- Dryer, F. L. Naegeli, D. W. Glassman, I. Combust. Flame 17 270 1971
- Bartok, W. Sarofim, A.F. “Fossil Fuel Combustion”
- Smyth, K.C. Norton, T.S. Miller, J.H. Smooke, M.D. Puri, R. Moser, M. Santoro. Bockhorn H. Soot Formation in Combustion Mechanisms and Models, in: Springer Series in Chemical Physics 59 Springer-Verlag New York 1994 113
- Puri, R. Santoro. “The Role of Soot Particle Formation on the Production of Carbon Monoxide in Fires” Fire Safety Science-Proceedings of the Third International Symposium Elsevier Applied Sciences London 1991 595
- Kimura, S. Aoki, O. Ogawa, H. Muranaka, S. Enomoto, Y. “New Combustion Concept for Ultra-Clean and High-Efficiency Small DI Diesel Engines,” SAE 1999-01-3681
- Yamaya, Y. Furutani, M. Ohta, Y. “Premixed Compression Ignition of Formaldehyde-Doped Lean Butane/Air Mixtures in a Wide Range of Temperature,” SAE 2004-01-1977
- Frenklach, M. Wanf, H. Bockhorn H. Soot Formation in Combustion, Mechanisms and Models Springer Series in Chemical Physics 59 Springer-Verlag New York 1994 165
- Bartok W Sarofim A.F. “Fossil Fuel Combustion - A sourcebook” Wiley 1980
- Choi, D. Miles, P. C. Yun, H. Reitz, R. D. “A Parametric Study of Low-Temperature, Late-Injection Combustion in a HSDI Diesel Engine,” JSME International Journal 48 4 2005
- Henein, N. A. Singh, I. P. Zhong, L. Lai, M-C. Bryzik, W. 2003 “New Integrated “O.P.E.R.A.S.” Strategies for Low Emissions in HSDI Diesel Engines,” SAE 2003-01-0261
- Henein, N. A. Bhattacharyya, A. Schipper, J. Kastury, A. Bryzik, W. “Effect of Injection Pressure and Swirl Motion on Diesel Engine-out Emissions in Conventional and Advanced Combustion Regimes,” SAE 2006-01-0076