This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Analysis of Yaw Inducing Drag Forces Imparted During Tire Tread Belt Detachments
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this study, tests were performed to understand the effects of asymmetric longitudinal forces on vehicle response which may be created in certain staged partial tire tread belt detachment tests. In a very small number of tests performed by others, tires cut to simulate partial tire tread belt detachments created longitudinal drag forces at the separating tire that induced substantial vehicle yaw. This drag force and yaw response are independent of vehicle type and suspension type; they are created by the separating tire tread interacting with the road surface and / or vehicle. Similar yaw inducing drag forces are further demonstrated by applying braking to only the right rear wheel location of an instrumented test vehicle. It is shown that vehicle yaw response results from this longitudinal force as opposed to vertical axle motion.
- Donald F. Tandy - Tandy Engineering & Associates, Inc.
- Kenneth T. Tandy - Tandy Engineering & Associates, Inc.
- Nicholas J. Durisek - Tandy Engineering & Associates, Inc.
- Kevan J. Granat - Tandy Engineering & Associates, Inc.
- Robert J. Pascarella
- Lee Carr - Carr Engineering, Inc.
- Robert Liebbe - Carr Engineering, Inc.
CitationTandy, D., Tandy, K., Durisek, N., Granat, K. et al., "An Analysis of Yaw Inducing Drag Forces Imparted During Tire Tread Belt Detachments," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0836, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0836.
- Gardner J. “The Role of Tread/Belt Detachment in Accident Causation” ITEC Paper 27A 1998
- Fay R.J. Robinette R.D. Smith J. Flood T. Bolden G. “Drag and Steering Effects from Tire Tread Belt Separation and Loss” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0447 .
- Dickerson C.P. Arndt M.W. Arndt S.M. “Vehicle Handling with Tire Tread Separation” SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0450 .
- Arndt S.M. Arndt M.W. “The Influence of a Rear Tire Tread Separation on a Vehicle Stability and Control” ESV 2001 Paper No. 258, June 2001
- Tandy D.F. Granat K.J. Tandy K.T. Durisek N.J. Baldwin J.W. Pascarella R.J. “Vehicle Response Comparison to Tire Tread Separations Induced by Circumferentially Cut Tires and Distressed Tires” SAE Paper No. 07B-77
- Arndt M.W. Rosenfield M.J. Arndt S.M. Stevens D.C. “Force Response During Tire Tread Detachment Event” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-1075
- Arndt M.W. Rosenfield M. Arndt S.M. “Measurement of Changes to Vehicle Handling Due To Tread Separation Induced Axle Tramp” SAE Paper No. 2006-01-1680
- Durisek N.J. Tandy D.F. Granat K.J. Tandy K.T. Pascarella R.J. Carr L. “Comparative Dynamic Analysis of Tire Tread Belt Detachments and Stepped Diameter (“Lumpy”) Tires” SAE Paper No. 07AC-31