This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of an Automotive Grade Controller for In-Cylinder Pressure Based Engine Control Development
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a new tool to capture cylinder pressure information, calculate combustion parameters, and implement control algorithms. There are numerous instrumentation and prototyping systems which can provide some or all of this capability. The Cylinder Pressure Development Controller (CPDC) is unique in that it uses advanced high volume automotive grade circuitry, packaging, and software methodologies. This approach provides insight regarding the implementation of cylinder pressure based controls in a production engine management system. A high performance data acquisition system is described along with a data reduction technique to minimize data processing requirements. The CPDC software architecture is discussed along with model-based algorithm development and autocoding. Finally, CPDC calculated combustion parameters are compared with those from a well established combustion analysis system and thermodynamic simulations.
CitationSchten, K., Ripley, G., Punater, A., and Erickson, C., "Design of an Automotive Grade Controller for In-Cylinder Pressure Based Engine Control Development," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0774, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0774.
- Sellnau, M. Matekunas, F. Battison, P. Chang, C.-F. Lancaster, D. “Cyliner-Pressure-Based Engine Control Using Pressure-ratio-Management and Low-Cost Non-Intrusive Cylinder Pressure Sensors” SAE 2000-01-0932
- Schiefer, D. Maennel, R. Nardoni, W “Advantages of Diesel Engine Control Using In-Cylinder Pressure Information for Closed Loop Control” SAE 2003-01-0364
- Beasley, M. Cornwell, R. Fussey, P. King, R. Noble, A. Salamon, T. Truscott, A. Landsmann, G. “Reducing Diesel Emissions Dispersion by Coordinated Combustion Feedback Control” SAE 2006-01-0186
- Houben, H. Marto, A. Pechhold, F. Haussner, M. Borgers, M. “Pressure Sensor Glow Plug (PSG) for Diesel Engines” MTZ worldwide 65 November 2004
- Wlodarczyk, M. “High Accuracy Glow Plug-Integrated Cylinder Pressure Sensor for Closed Loop Engine Control” SAE 2006-01-0184
- Moriwaki, J. Murai, H. Kameshima, A. “Glow Plug with Combustion Pressure Sensor” SAE 2003-01-0707
- Brunt, M. F. J. Emtage, A. L. “Evaluation of Burn Rate Routines and Analysis Errors” SAE 970037
- Brunt, M. F. J. Rai, H. Emtage, A. L. “The Calculation of Heat Release Energy from Engine Cylinder Pressure Data” SAE 981052
- Gatowski, J. A. et. al. “Heat Release Analysis of Engine Pressure Data” SAE 841359