This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of Frontal Crush Stiffness Coefficients for Car-to-Heavy Truck Underride Collisions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The first objective of this paper was to evaluate a public domain finite element (FE) model of a 1990 Ford Taurus from the perspective of crush energy absorption. The validity of the FE model was examined by first comparing simulation results to several published full-frontal crash tests. Secondly, the suitability of the model for underride simulation was evaluated against two series of full-scale crash tests into vertically offset rigid barriers.
Next, the evaluated FE model was used to pursue the main objective of this work, namely to develop an approach for estimating underride crush energy. The linear-spring methodology was adopted whereby the underride crush stiffness was determined by relating the residual upper radiator support deformation to crush energy. An underride crush stiffness estimation method was proposed based on modifying the full-frontal stiffness coefficients. The method was further simplified into a “Rule-of-Thumb” estimation method, and an example of its application was provided along with a discussion of its estimation accuracy.
CitationTavakoli, M., Valliappan, P., Pranesh, A., and Savage, C., "Estimation of Frontal Crush Stiffness Coefficients for Car-to-Heavy Truck Underride Collisions," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0731, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0731.
- Campbell K., “Energy Basis for Collision Severity”, SAE 740565, 1974.
- “Rear Impact Guards”, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 223, U.S. Code of Federal Regulations 49 CFR 571.223, 1996.
- “Rear Impact Protection”, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 224, U.S. Code of Federal Regulations 49 CFR 571.224, 1996.
- Blower D., and Campbell K., “Underride in Fatal Rear-End Truck Crashes”, SAE 2000-01-3521, 2000.
- Boucher D., and Davis D., “Trailer Underride Protection - A Canadian Perspective”, SAE 2000-01-3522, 2000.
- Tanner B., Chen F., Wiechel J., and Brown D., “Vehicle and Occupant Response in Heavy Truck to Car Low-Speed Rear Impacts”, SAE 970120, 1997.
- Goodwin V., Martin D., Sackett R., Schaefer G., Olson D., and Tancer A., “Vehicle and Occupant Response in Low Speed Car to Barrier Override Impacts”, SAE 1999-01-0442, 1999.
- “Final Report of a 1993 Honda Civic DX into Heavy Truck Rigid Rear Underride Guard in Support of CRASH3 Damage Algorithm Reformation”, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT HS 808 228, June 1993.
- “Final Report of a 1990 Ford Taurus into Heavy Truck Rigid Rear Underride Guard in Support of CRASH3 Damage Algorithm Reformation”, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT HS 808 231, June 1993.
- “Bumper Underride Crash Test Series”, Synectics Road Safety Research Corp., March 1997.
- Marine M., Wirth J., Thomas T., “Crush Energy Considerations in Override/ Underride Impacts”, SAE 2002-01-0556, 2002.
- Croteau J., Werner S., Habberstad J., and Golliher J., “Determining Closing Speed in Rear Impact Collisions with Offset and Override”, SAE 2001-01-1170, 2001.
- Tumbas N., and Smith R., “Measuring Protocol for Quantifying Vehicle Damage from Energy Point of View”, SAE 880072, 1988.
- Mariolani J., Santos P., Stellute J., and Mazarin J., “First Crash Test of the New Conceptual Pliers Underride Guard”, SAE 982879, 1998.
- Mariolani J., Schmutzler L., Arruda A., Occhipinti S., Santos P., Stellute J., and Mazarin J., “Impact Project: Searching for the Solution to the Underride Problem”, SAE 982755, 1998.
- “Final Report of FMVSS Nos. 208, 212, 219 (partial) and 301 Compliance Testing of a 1990 Ford Taurus 4-Door Sedan”, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Test No. 1403, Report No. CL0203, January 1990.
- “NHTSA New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) Frontal Barrier Impact Test of a 1990 Ford Taurus 4-Door Sedan”, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Test No. 1385, Report No. ML0202, January 1990.
- Marine M., Wirth J., Peters B., and Thomas T., “Override/Underride Crush Energy: Results from Vertically Offset Barrier Impacts”, SAE 2005-01-1202, 2005.
- “Development of a Passenger Vehicle Finite Element Model”, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, DOT HS 808 145, Nov. 1993.
- Marzougui D., Kan C., and Bedewi N., “Development and Validation of an NCAP Simulation using LS-DYNA3D”, Fourth International LS-DYNA3D Conference, Cray Research, pp. 319-332, September 1996.
- Woolley R., “Non-Linear Damage Analysis in Accident Reconstruction”, SAE 2001-01-0504, 2001.
- Fonda A., “Crush Energy Formulations and Single-Event Reconstruction”, SAE 900099, 1990.
- Fonda A., “Principles of Crush Energy Determination”, SAE 1999-01-0106, 1999.
- Prasad A., “CRASH3 Damage Algorithm Reformulation for Front and Rear Collisions”, SAE 900098, 1990.
- Strother C., Woolley R., and James M., “A Comparison between NHTSA Crash Test Data and CRASH3 Frontal Stiffness Coefficients”, SAE 900101, 1990.
- Varat M., Husher S., and Kerkhoff J., “An Analysis of Trends of Vehicle Frontal Impact Stiffness”, SAE 940914, 1994.
- Varat M., and Husher S., “Vehicle Crash Severity Assessment in Lateral Pole Impacts”, SAE 1999-01-0100, 1999.
- Welsh K., and Struble D., “Crush Energy and Structural Characterization”, SAE 1999-01-0099, 1999.
- Woolley R., Asay A., Jewkes D. and Morrison C., “Crash Testing with a Massive Moving Barrier as an Accident Reconstruction Tool”, SAE 2000-01-060, 2000.
- Kerkhoff J., Varat M., Husher S., Busenga A., and Hamilton K., “An Investigation into Vehicle Frontal Impact Stiffness, BEV and Repeated Testing for Reconstruction”, SAE 930899, 1993.
- Nystrom G., Kost G., and Werner S., “Stiffness Parameters for Vehicle Collision Analysis”, SAE 910119, 1991.
- Valliappan P., Validation of a Finite Element Model of a Passenger Vehicle, Extension of the Model to Simulate Underride Collisions, and Establishment of a Physical Model Relating Underride Crush Energy to Residual Crush, Kettering University, Masters Thesis, 2005.