This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Calculation of Deceleration Rates for S-Cam Air-Braked Heavy Trucks Equipped with Anti-Lock Brake Systems
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Evaluating the deceleration rate of air-braked heavy trucks based on brake components and their adjustment has been well documented for vehicles not equipped with anti-lock brake systems (ABS). Though there are many non-ABS trucks still on the road, ABS is becoming more common, having been required by NHTSA on all heavy trucks manufactured since March 1998. It has been found that the stopping-capabilities of ABS-equipped trucks are often not well modeled by the traditional Heusser technique. This paper will present an expansion of that method to accommodate ABS-equipped trucks, a means of characterizing air brake chambers to obviate the need for lookup tables, and discuss some sources of uncertainty in the analysis. A comparison of predicted stopping characteristics to test results for one truck is presented.
CitationBartlett, W., "Calculation of Deceleration Rates for S-Cam Air-Braked Heavy Trucks Equipped with Anti-Lock Brake Systems," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0714, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0714.
SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Commercial Vehicles
Number: V116-2; Published: 2008-08-15
Number: V116-2; Published: 2008-08-15
- Bartlett, Wade D. 2004 Calculation of Heavy Truck Deceleration Based on Air Pressure Rise-Time and Brake Adjustment SAE International Warrendale PA. 2004-01-2632
- Blau, Peter J. 2005 A New Brake Lining Marking System For Truck Tractors National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Brill, David 2006 “Modeling Commercial Motor Vehicle ABS Brakes using Brake Force Calculations.” IATAI Bloomington IL. Annual Conference September 2006 http://www.iatai.org/
- Day, Terry D. Roberts Sydney G. 2002 A Simulation Model for Vehicle Braking Systems Fitted with ABS SAE International Warrendale PA. 2002-01-0559
- Frese, Thomas Heuser Gerd 2002 Testing of Existing Anti-Lock Braking Systems (ABS), Version 2 The CITA Research Study Consortium Cologne Germany http://ec.europa.eu/transport/roadsafety/publications/ doc/cita_study_3.pdf 05 January 2007
- Fricke, Lynn 1990 Volume 2 of the Traffic Accident Reconstruction Manual Northwestern University Traffic Institute Evanston IL. 0-912642-07-6 78 22
- Haldex 2004 Spring Brake Actuator Catalog Haldex Commercial Vehicle Systems Kansas City MO
- Heusser, Ronald B. 1991 Heavy Truck Deceleration Rates as a Function of Brake Adjustment SAE International Warrendale PA. 910126
- Heusser, Ronald B. 2004 “Deceleration Rates for ABS Air Braked Vehicles, Calculation Methodology.” IPTM Jacksonville FL. Special Problems in Accident Reconstruction Conference April 2004
- Heusser, Ronald B. 2006
- Hoover, Richard L. Howe Gavin Flick Mark Dashner David 2000 S-Cam Brake Effectiveness Comparison Using Two Fixtures and Two Lining Types on a Single Inertia Dynamometer National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Leasure, William Jr. Williams Sidney Jr. 1989 Antilock Systems for Air-braked Vehicles SAE International Warrendale PA. 890113
- Limpert, Rudolf 1992 Brake Design and Safety SAE International Warrendale PA. 1-56091-261-8 402
- MacAdam, Charles C. Gillespie Thomas D. 1998 Determining the Sensitivities of an S-Cam Brake University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute Ann Arbor MI.
- MGM Brakes 2006 Master Brake Catalog Form 6000ss MGM Brakes Charlotte NC
- Nicholson, Geoffrey 2006 Comparing Friction Material Properties Gedoran America Limited Winchester VA. www.ifriction.com/reports.100.htm Jan 2007
- Richards, Paul 2003 The Air Brake Handbook 7th Randall Publishing Tuscaloosa AL. 40
- Stopper, David Voeglie Chris Heusser Ron McKinzie Steve 2000 Friction Values of Sliding Commercial Vehicles vs. Autos World Reconstruction Expo 2000 http://www.truckstopper.com/Articles.htm 23 December 2006
- Zaugg, Brian Heydinger Gary Guenther Dennis Dunn Ashley Zagorski Scott Grygier Paul 2005 The Development of a Heavy Truck ABS Model SAE International Warrendale PA. 2005-01-0413
- Zagorski, Scott B. Hoover Richard L. 2005 Comparison of ABS Configurations and Their Effects on Stopping Performance and Stability for a Class 8 Straight-Truck SAE International Warrendale PA. 2005-01-3610