This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stiff versus Yielding Seats: Analysis of Matched Rear Impact Tests
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The objective of this study was to analyze available anthropomorphic test device (ATD) responses from KARCO rear impact tests and to evaluate an injury predictive model based on crash severity and occupant weight presented by Saczalski et al. (2004). The KARCO tests were carried out with various seat designs. Biomechanical responses were evaluated in speed ranges of 7-12, 13-17, 18-23 and 24-34 mph. For this analysis, all tests with matching yielding and stiff seats and matching occupant size and weight were analyzed for cases without 2nd row occupant interaction. Overall, the test data shows that conventional yielding seats provide a high degree of safety for small to large adult occupants in rear crashes; this data is also consistent with good field performance as found in NASS-CDS. Saczalski et al.'s (2004) predictive model of occupant injury is not correct as there are numerous cases from NASS-CDS that show no or minor injury in the region where serious injury is predicted. This model should not be used to assess injury risks in rear crashes.
CitationViano, D., Parenteau, C., Prasad, P., and Burnett, R., "Stiff versus Yielding Seats: Analysis of Matched Rear Impact Tests," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0708, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0708.
SAE 2007 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Mechanical Systems
Number: V116-6; Published: 2008-08-15
Number: V116-6; Published: 2008-08-15
- Burnett R Carter J Roberts V Myers B. The influence of seatback characteristics on cervical injury risk in severe rear impacts Accid Anal Prev. 36 4 591 601 2004
- Prasad P Kim AS Weerappuli D Roberts VL. Relationships Between Passenger-Car Seat Back Strength and Occupant Injury Severity in Rear-End Collisions Field and Laboratory Studies. SAE 973343 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1997
- Prasad P Mertz HJ. The Position of the U.S. Delegation to the ISO Working Group 6 on the Use of HIC in the Automotive Environment SAE 851246 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1985
- Saczalski K Burton J Lewis P Friedman K Saczalski T Baray P. Belt Integrated Seat Rear Impact Studies Paper No. F20000G279, Seoul FISITA World Automotive Congress Seoul, Korea June 12-15 2000
- Saczalski K Burton J Lewis P Friedman, K Saczalski T. Study of Seat System Performance Related to Injury of Rear Seated Children and Infants in Rear Impacts Paper No IMECE2002-33517, ASME Intl. Mech. Egr. Congress 2002
- Saczalski K Burton J Lewis P Saczalski T Baray P. Evaluation of Rear Impact Seat System Performance Using a Combined Load Neck Injury Criteria and Hybrid III Surrogates Paper No. IMECE2001/AMD-25444, ASME Intl. Mech. Egr. Congress 2001
- Saczalski K Sances A Srirangam K Burton J Lewis P. An Experimental Method for Multi-Variable Analysis of Vehicle Safety Systems and Application to Front Seats and Rear Occupant Interaction in Rear Impact Paper No, IMECE2003-44093, ASME Intl. Mech. Egr. Congress 2003
- Saczalski K Sances A Srirangam K Burton J Lewis P. Experimental Injury Study of Children Seated Behind Collapsing Front Seats in Rear Impacts 40th Annual Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium Proceedings, ISA Paper #2003-046 2003
- Saczalski K Sances A Srirangam K Meyer S Burton J Lewis P. Biomechanical Study of Rear Children Chest Injury Measures Related to Collapsing Front Seats in Rear Impacts Paper No IMECE2003-43061, ASME Intl. Mech. Egr. Congress 2003
- Saczalski K Sances A Srirangam K Pozzi M Saczalski T Burton J Lewis P. Multivariate Head Injury Threshold Measures for Various Sized Children Seated Behind Collapsing Front Seats in Rear Impacts 40th Annual Rocky Mountain Bioengineering Symposium Proceedings ISA 437 259 265 10-13 April 2004
- Saczalski K Saul J Burton J Lewis P. Experimental Verification of Biomechanical Occupant Response Predictions for Front Seated Passengers Subjected to Rear Impacts SAE 2003-03-3305 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 2003
- Yoganandan N Pintar FA Haffner M. Epidemiology and Injury Biomechanics of Motor Vehicle Related Trauma to the Human Spine SAE 892438 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA 1989