This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of Automotive Fuel Tanks Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A finite element model utilizing the smoothed particle hydrodynamics (SPH) algorithm in LS-DYNA is developed to simulate the behavior of automotive fuel tanks in drop tests. Limited physical tests described in the open literature have demonstrated failures in certain reconditioned fuel tanks, but the tests were inconclusive. The modeling effort described in this paper is aimed at providing insight into the complex loading on the tanks resulting from the fluid-structure interaction.
Application of the SPH algorithm to model a variety of fuel tanks as well as laboratory test specimens shows distinct correlations between tank geometry design and its propensity for failure, as well as differences in loading resulting from substitution of water for gasoline.
CitationBedewi, N. and Omar, T., "Modeling of Automotive Fuel Tanks Using Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0682, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0682.
Safety: Rear Impact, Rollover, Side Impact, Crashworthiness, Air Bags and Bumper Systems
Number: SP-2117; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2117; Published: 2007-04-16
- Machado, C.R. “Automotive Fuel Tank Evaluation” South West Research Institute August 2003
- Hallquist, J.O. “LS-DYNA Theoretical Manual” Livermore Software Technology Corporation 1998
- Hallquist, J.O. “LS-DYNA Keyword User's Manual” Livermore Software Technology Corporation 2001
- http://www.lstc.com Livermore Software Technology Corporation
- Zaouk, A.K. Marzougul, D. Bedewi, N.E. “Development of a Detailed Vehicle Finite Element Model - Part 1: Methodology” International Journal of Crashworthiness Research 5 1 2000 25 35
- Mon Monclus, J. Bedewi, N.E. Kan, C.D. “Versatility and Limitations of a Fully Detailed Finite Element Model of a 1997 Dodge Caravan for Crashworthiness Simulation”, a 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan for Crashworthiness Simulation” Proceedings of the Society of Automotive Engineers 2000 World Congress Detroit, MI March 2000
- Omar, T.A. Kan, C.D. Bedewi, N.E. Eskandarian, A. “Major Parameters Affecting Nonlinear Finite Element Simulations of Vehicle Crashes” Proceedings of the ASME Winter Annual Meeting, International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition Transportation Safety Session, AMD 237 Nashville, TN November 14-19 1999 1 18
- Bedewi, N.E. “Role of High Performance Computing in Crashworthiness and Highway Safety Research - Present and Future” International Conference on High Performance Computing in Automotive Design, Engineering, and Manufacturing, Paris, France October 1996
- Zaouk, A. Bedewi, N.E. Kan, C.D. Marzougui, D. “Development and Evaluation of a C-1500 Pick up Truck Model for Roadside Hardware Impact” Proceedings of the FHWA Simulation Conference, Langley, VA July 1996
- Zaouk, A. Bedewi, N.E. Kan, C.D. Schinke, H. “Evaluation of a Multi-Purpose Pick-up Truck Model Using Full Scale Crash Data with Application to Highway Barrier Impacts” Proceedings of the 29 th International Symposium on Automotive Technology and Automation, Road and Vehicle Safety, 39 46 Florence, Italy June 3-6 1996
- http://www.matweb.com High Density Poly-Ethylene material properties
- Fournier, E. Keown, M “Survey of State-of-the-art in Fuel System Fire Safety: Phase I” Biokinetics and Assoc. Ltd. April 19 2002 Report No. R02-04
- Fournier, E. Bayne, T. Kot, J. “Survey of State-of-the-art in Fuel System Fire Safety: Phase II” Biokinetics and Assoc. Ltd. May 12 2003 Report No. R03-01
- Fournier, E. Kot, J. “Expansion of the Vehicle Fuel System Database and Overview of Pickup Truck History” Biokinetics and Assoc. Ltd. February 9 2004 Report No. R04-02
- Smith, H.D. “Crash-Resistant Fuel Tanks for Helicopters and General Aviation Aircraft” SAE 740358 1974
- Fukuhara, K. Hara, M. Matasuura, N. Watanabe, H. “Development of Plastic Fuel Tanks Using Modified Multi-Layer Blow Molding” SAE 900636 1990
- Pisciolaro, O. Comparini, F.H. “Development of High Capacity Plastic Fuel Tanks for Trucks” SAE 921513 1992
- Stephens, R.D. Williams, R. Keoleian, G.A. Spatari, S. Beal, R. “Comparative Life Cycle Assessment of Plastic and Steel Vehicle Fuel Tanks” SAE 982224 1998
- Kamiya, K. Yamaguchi, Y. Vries, E. “Simulation Studies of Sloshing in a Fuel Tank” SAE 2002-01-0574 2002
- Ellis, T. “Structural and Material Features that Influence Emissions from Thermoplastic Multilayer Fuel Tanks” SAE 2003-01-1121 2003
- Tachi, T. Goto, T. Kato, H. Takashima, T. “Low Permeation Technologies for Plastic Fuel Tanks” SAE 2003-01-0790 2003