This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A DoE Analysis on the Effects of Compression Ratio, Injection Timing, Injector Nozzle Hole Size and Number on Performance and Emissions in a Diesel Marine Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A DoE analysis was carried out to investigate the effects of the compression ratio, injection timing, injector nozzle hole size and number on performance and emissions in a diesel marine engine, aiming to find out the optimal combination between all the abovementioned parameters.
The study was performed on a six cylinder in line, 100 liter total displacement, diesel marine engine, by means of a 1-D engine simulation fluid-dynamic code, coupled with a multi-zone combustion model for oxide of nitrogen (NOx) and particulate (PM) prediction.
A preliminary detailed validation process, based on an extensive experimental data set, was carried out on the engine model concerning, in particular, the predicted heat release rate, the in-cylinder pressure trace and NOx emissions for several operating points of a propeller load curve.
Afterward a full factorial Design of Experiments (DoE) analysis was carried out in order to find out the optimal combination between compression ratio, injection timing, injector nozzle hole size and number aiming to reach the lowest brake specific fuel consumption value while complying with NOx emissions and peak firing pressures constraints.
CitationMillo, F., Pautasso, E., Delneri, D., and Troberg, M., "A DoE Analysis on the Effects of Compression Ratio, Injection Timing, Injector Nozzle Hole Size and Number on Performance and Emissions in a Diesel Marine Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0670, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0670.
- International Marine Organization (IMO) MARPOL 73/78, 1997 Protocol, Annex VI “ Regulations for the Prevention of Air Pollution from Ships ” May 2005
- Kim, B. S. Yoon, W. H. Yoon Ryu, S. H. Ha, J. S. “Effect of the Injector Nozzle Hole Diameter and Number on the Spray Characteristics and the Combustion Performance in Medium-Speed Diesel Marine Engines” SAE Paper 2005-01-3853 2005
- Gamma Technologies Inc. “ GT-POWER User's Manual ” 2003
- Keribar, R. Ciesla, C. R. Morel, T “ Engine/Powertrain/Vehicle Modeling Tool Applicable to all Stages of the Design Process ” SAE Paper 2000-01-0934 2000
- Morel, T. Keribar, R. Leonard, A. “ Virtual Engine/Powertrain/Vehicle Simulation Tool Solves Complex Interacting System Issues ” SAE Paper 2003-01-0372 2003
- Yoshizaki, T. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. “ Approach to Low NOx and Smoke Emissions Engines by Using Phenomenological Simulation” SAE Paper 930612 1993
- Morel, T. Wahiduzzaman, S. “Modeling of Diesel Combustion and Emissions” FISITA 1996