This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Characterization of Diesel Fuel Pulsed Sprays
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
It is well established that the combustion development and the consequent pollutant emissions in a Diesel engine depend on the fuel spray characteristics. Nowadays, many new injection strategies are being tested, in order to improve the diesel combustion efficiency and so to reduce its environmental impact in terms of pollutant emissions and fuel consumption. Many works have proved that NOx, THC, CO and particulate levels emitted from a Diesel engine, as well as specific fuel consumption, depend, for a given engine speed and load, upon the parameters characterizing any particular injection strategy. Despite the extensive experimental activity analyzing the effects of the previous control parameters on the engine emission and fuel consumption levels, very few are the works dealing with the effect of the same parameters on the fuel spray, and in particular on the droplet dimension distribution.
The aim of this work is therefore to study these effect. A diesel injector was mounted inside a chamber and the spray was characterized in terms of droplet dimension using the Malvern laser technique, when a double injection was tested setting different values for the injection pressure, injection duration and dwell between consecutive injections.
CitationCarlucci, A., Panarese, N., and Laforgia, D., "Experimental Characterization of Diesel Fuel Pulsed Sprays," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0664, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0664.
- De Risi, A. Donateo, T. Laforgia, D. “Optimization of the Combustion Chamber of Direct Injection Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 2003-01-1064 2003
- Han, J. Wang, T.C. Xie, X. B. Lai, M. C. Henein, N. A. “Dynamics of Multiple-Injection Fuel Sprays in a Small-bore HSDI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 2000-01-1256 2000
- Farrell, P. V. Chang, C. T. Su, T. F. “High Pressure Multiple Injection Spray Characteristics” SAE Paper 960860 1996
- Tennison, P. J. Georjon, T. L. Farrell, P. V. Reitz, R. D. “An Experimental and Numerical Study of Sprays from a Common Rail Injection System for Use in an HSDI Diesel Engine” SAE paper 980810 1998
- Su, T. F. Patterson, M. A. Reitz, R. D. Farrell, P. V. “Experimental and Numerical Studies of High Pressure Multiple Injection Sprays” SAE Paper 960861 1996
- de Risi, A. di Sante, R. Colangelo, G. “Optical Characterization of a Diesel Spray at High Temperature and Pressure” XII Convegno Nazionale AIVELA Naples November 11-12 2004
- Carlucci P. Ficarella A. Laforgia D. “Effects on Combustion and Emissions of Early and Pilot Fuel Injections in Diesel Engines” International Journal of Engine Research 2005 6 1 43 60
- Carlucci P. Chiara F. F. Ficarella A. Giuranna T. Laforgia D. “Combined Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation and Partially Premixed Charge on Performance and Emissions of a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” 7th International Conference on Engines for Automobile Capri (Napoli) September 11-16 2005