This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation of Multiple Scattering in a Hollow-Cone Spray
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Laser diagnostics of fuel sprays are often hampered by multiple scattering effects. Planar laser-induced exciplex fluorescence (PLIEF) and Mie scattering images of a spray are presented, and the effects of multiple signal scattering are explored. A hollow-cone spray is cut in half with a spray cutter, and then imaged from either side. In one set, signal passes through the spray to the camera (back-cut images), and in the other set it does not (front-cut images), showing the effect of passing the signal through the spray to the camera. The cut spray is characterized with a phase Doppler anemometer (PDA) and Sauter Mean Diameter (SMD) is seen to range from 10-30 μm. Operational guidelines for using the cutter are presented. It was determined that a film forms on the cutter face 3-5 ms after the start of injection (ASOI) depending on the cutter temperature. Stripped droplets from this film increase droplet concentration and SMD in the center of the spray if the cutter is used improperly. Mie scattering and PLIEF images are used to return planar droplet sizing (PDS) results for the spray, and absolute SMD over the spray is returned from the images. As the signal passes through the spray it is diffused by the droplets. Peak SMD is seen to decrease 14-20%, and as the signal passes through the spray it is shifted radially outwards.
CitationPowell, J. and Lee, C., "An Investigation of Multiple Scattering in a Hollow-Cone Spray," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0648, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0648.
- Yeh, C.-N. Kosaka, H. Kamimoto, T. Prog in Astro and Aero 1 12 1996 297 308
- Stojkovich, B. Sick, V. Appl. Phys B. 73 1 2001 75 83
- Su, J. Drake, M. C. Fansler, T.D. Harrington, D. L. ILASS Proc. 1998
- Le Gal, P. Farrugia, N. Greenhalgh, D.A. Optics & Laser Tech. 31 1999 75 83
- Sick, V. Stojkovich, B. Appl. Optics 40 15 2001 2435 2442
- Koh, H. Jeon, J. Kim, D. Yoon, Y. Koo, J.-Y. Meas. Sci & Tech. 14 2003 1829 1838
- Zelina, J. Rodrigue, A. Sankar, S. 1998 1 10
- Greenhalgh, D. Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs. 214 A 2000 367 376
- Domann, R. Hardalupas, Y. Part. Part. Syst. Charact, 18 2001 3 11
- Domann, R. Hardalupas, Y. Part. Part. Syst. Charact. 20 2003 209 218
- Van de Hulst, H. C. Light Scattering by Small Particles John Wiley & Sons, Inc. NYC, USA 1957 3 6
- Didier, R. Breuer, S. Reckers, W. Kneer, R. Part. Part. Syst. Charact. 18 2001 179 189
- Zhang, Y. Nishida, K. Yoshizaki, T. JSME Int. J. Series B 46 1 2003 100 108
- Brown, C.T. McDonnell, V.G. Talley, D.G. ILASS Proc. 2002
- Szymanski, W.W J. Aerosol Sci. 23 5 1992 425 435
- Melton, L.A. Murray, A.M. Air Force Office of Sci. Res. Rept#UTD-CHEM-8401 1984 72