This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Balance between Reliability and Robustness in Engine Cooling System Optimal Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper explores the trade-off between reliability-based design and robustness for an automotive under-hood thermal system using the iSIGHT-FD environment. The interaction between the engine cooling system and the heating, ventilating, and air-conditioning (HVAC) system is described. The engine cooling system performance is modeled using Flowmaster and a metamodel is developed in iSIGHT. The actual HVAC system performance is characterized using test bench data. A design of experiment procedure determines the dominant factors and the statistics of the HVAC performance is obtained using Monte Carlo simulation (MCS). The MCS results are used to build an overall system response metamodel in order to reduce the computational effort. A multi-objective optimization in iSIGHT maximizes the system mean performance and simultaneously minimizes its standard deviation subject to probabilistic constraints. An illustrative example shows how we can balance reliability and robustness in an automotive under-hood thermal system design, considering the variations of all design factors.
CitationRahman, S., Kayupov, M., Li, J., and Mourelatos, Z., "Balance between Reliability and Robustness in Engine Cooling System Optimal Design," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0594, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0594.
Reliability and Robust Design in Automotive Engineering, 2007
Number: SP-2119 ; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2119 ; Published: 2007-04-16
- Pembery, J. G. A. and Doyle, C. T., “Efficient Engine Cooling Systems - A Computer Aided Approach”, SAE Paper 914243, 1991
- Burke, J. and Haws, J. “Vehicle Thermal Systems Modeling Using FLOWMASTER2”, SAE Paper 2001-01-1696, 2001
- Rahman, S., and Sun, R., “Robust Engineering of Engine Cooling System”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0149, 2003.
- Reddy, M.V., Granhdi, R.V., and Hopkins, D.A., “Reliability Based Structural Optimization: A Simplified Safety Index Approach,” Comput. Struct., 53(6), 1407-1418, 1994.
- Lee, J.O., Yang, Y.O., and Ruy, W.S., “A Comparative Study on Reliability Index and Target Performance Based Probabilistic Structural Design Optimization,” Comput. Struct., 80, 257-269, 2002.
- Wu, Y.-T., “Computational Methods for Efficient Structural Reliability and Reliability Sensitivity Analysis,” AIAA J., 32(8), 1717-1723, 1994.
- Zou, T., Mourelatos, Z.P., Mahadevan, S., and Tu, J., “Component and System Reliability Analysis Using an Indicator Response Surface Monte Carlo Approach,” Proceedings of ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences, DETC2003/DAC-48708, 2003.
- Tu, J., Choi, K.K., and Park, Y.H., “A New Study on Reliability-Based Design Optimization,” ASME J. Mech. Des., 121(4), 557-564, 1999.
- Youn, B. D., Choi, K. K., and Park, Y. H., 2003, “Hybrid Analysis Method for Reliability-Based Design Optimization,” ASME J. Mech. Des., 125(2), 221-232, 2003.
- Qu, X., and Haftka, R.T., “Reliability-Based Design Optimization Using Probabilistic Sufficiency Factor,” Struct. Multidiscip. Optim., 27(5), 314-325, 2004.
- Qu, X., Singer, T., and Haftka, R.T., “Reliability-Based Global Optimization of Stiffened Panels Using Probabilistic Sufficiency Factor,” 45th AIAA/ASME/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Palm Springs, CA, Paper No. AIAA-2004-1898, 2004.
- Phadke, M.S., Quality Engineering Using Robust Design, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1989.
- Taguchi, G., Elsayed, E., and Hsiang, T., Quality Engineering in Production Systems, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1989.
- Chandra, M. J., Statistical Quality Control, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2001.
- Parkinson, D. B., “Robust Design by variability Optimization,” Qual. Reliab. Eng. Int, 13, 97-102, 1997.
- Bennett, G., and Gupta, L. C., “Least Cost Tolerance,” Int. J. Prod. Res., 8(1), 65-74. 1969.
- Forouraghi, B., “Worst-Case Tolerance Design and Quality Assurance via Genetic Algorithms,” J. Optim. Theory Appl., 113(2), 251-268, 2000.
- Du, X., and Chen, W., “Towards a Better Understanding of Modeling Feasibility Robustness in Engineering Design,” ASME J. Mech. Des., 122, 385-394, 2000.
- Chen, W., Wiecek, M. M., and Zhang, J., “Quality Utility - A Compromise Programming Approach to Robust Design,” ASME J. Mech. Des., 121(2), 179-187, 1999.
- Youn, B. D., and Choi, K. K., “Performance Moment Integration Approach for Reliability-Based Robust Design Optimization,” Proceedings of ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences (DETC), Paper No. DETC2004/DAC-57471, 2004.
- Mourelatos, Z.P. and Liang, J., “A Methodology for Trading-Off Performance and Robustness under Uncertainty”, Journal of Mechanical Design, 128(4), 856-863, 2006.
- Markowitz, H. M., “Portfolio Selection,” J. Finance, 7(1), 77-91, 1952.
- Fudenberg, D. and Tirole, J., Game Theory, MIT Press, 1983.
- Osborne, M.J. and Rubenstein, A., A Course in Game Theory, MIT Press, 1994.
- Qian, C. and Yuan, C., “An Integrated Process of CFD Analysis and Design Optimization with Underhood Thermal Application”, SAE Paper 2001-01-0637, 2001.
- Dropps, S. H., Khalaf, F. and Whittle, B. H. “Redesign of an Exhaust Manifold Outlet Fastener Using Robust Design Techniques”, SAE Paper 2000-01-0917, 2000.
- Koch, P. “Design for Six Sigma through Robust Optimization - iSIGHT implementation and applications”, 2001 International iSIGHT Automotive Conference, 2001.
- Rahman, S., Ragazzi, F., Sun, R., and Bathla, P., “Modeling of an Automotive Air Conditioning System and Validation with Experimental Data”, SAE Paper 2003-01-0735, 2003.
- Rahman, S., Bathla, P.S., Singh, P., and Sun, R.L., “A Computer Model Based Sensitivity Analysis of Parameters of an Automotive Air Conditioning System”, SAE Paper 2004-01-1564, 2004.
- Austin, K. and Botte, V., “An Integrated Air Conditioning (AC) Circuit and Cooling Circuit Simulation Model”, SAE Paper 2001-01-1691, 2001.
- Hendricks, T.J., “Optimization of Vehicle Air Conditioning System Using Transient Air Conditioning Performance Analysis”, SAE Paper 2001-01-1734, 2001.
- Montgomery, D.C. “Design and Analysis of Experiments”, 3rd edition, Wiley & Sons.
- Bucher, C. G., “Adaptive Sampling - An Iterative Fast Monte Carlo Procedure”, Structural Safety, 5, 119-126, 1988.
- Melchers, R.E., “Importance Sampling in Structural Systems,” Structural Safety, 6:3-10, 1989.
- Schueller, G. I., Pradlwarter, H. J. and Bucher, C. G., “Efficient Computational Procedures for Reliability Estimate of MDOF-Systems”, International Journal of Nonlinear Mechanics, 26 (6), 961-974, 1991.
- Schueller, G. I. and Stix, R., “A Critical Appraisal of Methods to Determine Failure Probabilities”, Structural Safety, 4 (4), 193-209, 1987.
- Fu, G. and Moses, F., “Multimodal Simulation Method for System Reliability Analysis”, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 119(6), 1173-1179, 1993.
- Ditlevsen, O. and Bjerager, P., “Plastic Reliability Analysis by Directional Simulation”, DCAMM Report, 353, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark, June 1987.
- Karamchandani, A., Bjerager, P. and Cornell C.A., “Adaptive Importance Sampling,” 5th International Conference on Structural Safety and Reliability, (Eds. Ang, A. H.-S., Shinozuka, M. and Schueller, G. I.), ASCE, 855-862, NewYork, 1989.
- Wu, Y.-T., “Computational Methods for Efficient Structural Reliability and Reliability Sensitivity Analysis,” AIAA Journal, 32(8):1717-1723, 1994.
- Chen, W., Allen, J.K., Mistree, F., and Tsui, K.-L., “A Procedure for Robust Design: Minimizing Variations Caused by Noise Factors and Control Factors,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, 118, 478-485, 1996.
- Du, X. and Chen, W., “A Most Probable Point Based Method for Uncertainty Analysis,” Journal of Design and Manufacturing Automation, 4 (1), 47-66, 2001.
- Jin, R.; Chen, W.; Simpson, T., “Comparative Studies of Metamodeling Techniques under Multiple Modeling Criteria,” Journal of Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization, 23, 1-13, 2001.
- Jin, R., Du, X. and Chen, W., “The Use of Metamodeling Techniques for Optimization under Uncertainty,” Journal of Structural & Multidisciplinary Optimization, 25, 99-116, 2003.
- Lee, K-H., Park, G-J., and Joo, W-S., “A Global Robust Optimization Using the Kriging Based Approximation Model,” 6th World Congresses of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Rio de Janeiro, 30 May - 03 June 2005, Brazil, 2005.