This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Measured and Model Based Generated Turbine Performance Maps within a 1D Model of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operated During Transient Conditions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One-dimensional engine simulation codes are today frequently used for turbocharger matching in stationary engine operation. Due to the turbocharger's slow response, simulation tools that can predict the engine transient performance are desired.
In this work a commercial turbine modelling software was used for turbine performance map generation for a wide operational range. It is based on semi-empirical models and requires turbine geometry data as input. The generated maps were compared with measured and numerically extrapolated turbine performance maps within a thermodynamic 1D model of a HD diesel engine operated in transient conditions. The thermodynamic engine model was verified against engine test cell data.
The results show that the model based generated performance turbine maps give similar results as the maps generated from measured turbine performance data. For performance prediction of turbines employed on reciprocating internal combustion engines especially when operated during transient conditions there is still a need for model improvement.
CitationWinkler, N. and Ångström, H., "Study of Measured and Model Based Generated Turbine Performance Maps within a 1D Model of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Operated During Transient Conditions," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0491, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0491.
- ETC test cycle FIGE Institute Aachen, Germany January 1994 http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/eu/hd.php
- Westin F. “Simulation of turbocharged SI-engines - with focus on the turbine” The Royal Institute of Technology Sweden 2005
- Payri F. Reyes E. Serrano J.R. “A Model for Load Transients of Turbocharged Diesel Engines” SAE 1999-01-0225
- Rakopoulos C. D. Giakoumis E. G. Hountalas D. T. Rakopoulos D. C. “The Effect of Various Dynamic, Thermodynamic and Design Parameters on the Performance of a Turbocharged Diesel Engine Operating under Transient Load Conditions” SAE 2004-01-0926
- Luján J. M. Serrano J. R. Arnau F. Dolz V. “Heat Transfer Model to Calculate Turbocharged HSDI Diesel Engines Performance” SAE 2003-01-1066
- Benajes J. Luján J. M. Serrano J. R. “Predictive Modelling Study of the Transient Load Response in a Heavy-Duty Turbocharged Diesel Engine” SAE 2000-01-0583
- He Y. “Development and Validation of a 1D Model of a Turbocharged V6 Diesel Engine Operating Under Steady-State and Transient Conditions” SAE 2005-01-3857
- Rakopoulos C. D. Giakoumis E. G. “Review of Thermodynamic Diesel Engine Simulations under Transient Operating Conditions” SAE 2006-01-0884
- Iwasaki M. Ikeya N. Marutani Y. Kitazawa T. “Comparison of Turbocharger Performance Between Steady Flow and Pulsating Flow on Engines” SAE 940839
- Westin F. Ångström H-E. “A method of investigating the on-engine turbine efficiency combining experiments and modeling” IMechE
- Gamma Technologies GT-Power User's Manual August 2004
- Filipi Z. Wang Y. Assanis D. “Effect of Variable Geometry Turbine (VGT) on Diesel Engine and Vehicle System Transient Response” SAE 2001-01-1247
- Moraal P. Kolmanovsky I. “Turbocharger Modeling for Automotive Control Applications” SAE 1999-01-0908
- Szymko S. Martinez-Botas R. Pullen K.R. McGlashan N. R. Chen H. “A high-speed, permanent magnet eddy-current dynamometer for turbocharger research” Banisoleiman, K. London Mechanical Engineering Publications 2002 213 224 1-8605-8383-0
- Westin F. Rosenqvist J. Ångström H-E. “Heat Losses From the Turbine of a Turbocharged Si-Engine-Measurements and Simulation” SAE 2004-01-0996
- Winterbone D. E. Nikpour B. Frost H. “A contribution to the understanding of turbocharger performance in pulsating flow” IMechE 1991
- Concepts NREC “EASy! For Turbines Tutorial” April 2005
- Baines N. C. “Axial and Radial Turbines, Radial Turbine Design” Concepts NREC 2003 0-933283-12-0
- Baines N. C. “Flow development in radial turbine rotors” Concepts ETI, Inc. IMechE
- Morel T. Keribar R. Silvestri J. Wahiduzzaman S. “Integrated Engine/Vechicle Simulation and Control” SAE 1999-01-0907
- Winterbone D. E. Pearson R. J. “Design Techniques for Engine Manifolds” SAE 1999 0-7680-0482-9
- Heywood J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” MCGraw-Hill 1988 0-07-100499-8
- Luján J. M. Galindo J. Serrano J. R. “Efficiency Characterization of Centripetal Turbines under Pulsating Flow Conditions” SAE 2001-01-0272
- Millbro A. Vallinder M. “Evaluation of Gasoline Variable Geometry Turbine (VGT) Technology” Master of Science Thesis
- Dale A. Watson N. “Vaneless radial turbocharger turbine performance” IMechE 1986
- Winkler N. Ångström H-E. Olofsson U. “Instantaneous On-Engine Twin-Entry Turbine Efficiency Calculations on a Diesel Engine” SAE 2005-01-3887
- Rajoo S. Martinez-Botas R. “Experimental study on the performance of a variable geometry mixed flow turbine for automotive turbocharger” Proc. of 8 th Int. Conf. on Turbochargers and Turbocharging, Instn. Mech. Engrs. 183 192 2006 13:978-1-84569-174-5
- Costall A. Szymko S. Martinez-Botas R. F. Filsinger D. Ninkovic D. “Assessment of unsteady behavior in turbocharger turbines” ASME Turbo Expo 2006
- Hu X. “An advanced turbocharger model for the internal combustion engine” Purdue University 2000
- King A. J. “A turbocharger unsteady performance model for the GT-Power internal combustion engine simulation” Purdue University 2002