This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis and Prediction of Unburned HCs in a Lean-Burn Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three-dimensional combustion simulation tools together with the Universal Coherent Flamelet Model (UCFM), a flame propagation model, have been applied to SI lean-burn combustion to study the influence of the equivalence ratio on the amount of unburned hydrocarbons (HCs). Unburned HCs from piston-cylinder crevices were taken into the consideration by using a calculation grid incorporating the actual crevice volume and shape and by applying an autoignition model to post-flame phenomena. The calculation results show the general tendencies for the total amount of unburned HCs and their distribution in the combustion chamber.
CitationTeraji, A., Tsuda, T., Noda, T., Kubo, M. et al., "Analysis and Prediction of Unburned HCs in a Lean-Burn Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0477, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0477.
- Teraji A. Tsuda T. Noda T. Kubo M. Itoh T. “Development of a Novel Flame Propagation Model (UCFM: Universal Coherent Flamelet Model) for SI Engines and Its Application to Knocking Prediction” SAE Paper, 2005-01-0199 2005
- Teraji A. Tsuda T. Noda T. Kubo M. Itoh T. “Development of a Three-dimensional Knock Simulation Method Incorporating a High-accuracy Flame Propagation Model” Int. J. Emgome Res 6 1 2004
- Nomura Y. Miyagawa H. Fujikawa T. Tomoda T. Kubota M. Abe S. “Numerical Study of Mixture Formation and Combustion Processes in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine with Fan-shaped Spray” SAE Paper, 2001-01-0738 2001
- Caton J. A. Heywood J. B. “Models for Heat Transfer, Mixing and Hydrocarbon Oxidation in a Exhaust Port of a Spark-Ignited Engine” SAE paper 800290 1980
- Eng J. A. “The Effect of Spark Retard on Engine-out Hydrocarbon Emisions” SAE paper 2005-01-3867 2005
- Candel S. M. Poinsot T. J. “Flame Stretch and the Balance Equation for the Flame Area” Combust. Sci. and Tech 70 1 15 1990
- Bouldier P. Henriot S. Poinsot T. Baritaud T. “A Model for Turbulent Flame Ignition and Propagation in Spark Ignition Engines” 24 th ,Symp. (Int.) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, pp 503 510 1992
- Meneveau C. Poinsot T. “Stretching and Quenching of Flamelets in Premixed Turbulent Combustion” Combust. and Flame 86, pp 311 322 1991
- Williams F. A. “A Review of Some Theoretical Considerations of Turbulent Flame Structure rdquo;, AGARD Conference Proceeding, 164 II 1-1 II 1-25
- Poinsot T. J. Haworth D. C. Bruneaux G. “Direct Simulation and Modeling of Flame-Wall Interaction for Premixed Turbulent Combustion”, Combust. and Flame 95 118 132 1993
- Livengood J. C. Wu P. C. “Correlation of Autoignition Phenomena in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines” 5 th , Symp. (Int.) on Combustion, pp 347 356 1955
- Song K. Clasen E. Chang C. Campbell S. Rhee K. T. “Post-Flame Oxidation and Unburned Hydrocarbon in a Spark-Ignition Engine” SAE paper 952543 1995
- Spalding D. B. “Mixing and chemical reaction in steady confined turbulent flames” 13 th Symp. (Int. ) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute 649 657
- Abraham J. Bracco F.V. Reitz R. D. “Comparisons of Computed and Measured Premixed Charge Engine” Combust. Flame 60 309 322 1985
- Westbrook C. K. Dryer F. L. “Simplified reaction mechanisms for the oxidation of hydrocarbon fuels in flames” Combust. Sci. Tech. 27 31 43 1981
- Angelberger C. Poinsot T. Delhay B. “Improving Near-Wall Combustion and Wall Heat Transfer Modeling in SI Engine Computations” SAE paper 972881 1997
- Stiesch G. Tan Z. Merker G.P. Reitz R. D. “Modeling the Effect of Split Injections on DISI Engine Performance” SAE paper 2001-01-0965 2001
- STAR-CD METHODOLOGY CD Adapco Group, 2004.
- Cheng W. K. Hamrin D. Heywood J. B. Hochgreb S. Min K. Norris M. “An Overview of Hydrocarbon Emissions Mechanisms in Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE paper, 932708 1993
- Eng J. A. Leppard W. R. Najt P. M. “Experimental Hydrocarbon Consumption Rate Correlations From a Spark Ignition Engine” SAE paper 972888 1997
- Tabaczynski R. J. Heywood J. B. Keck J. C. “Time Resolved Measurements of Hydrocarbon Mass Flowrate in the Exhaust of a Spark-Ignition Engines” SAE paper, 720112 1972
- Ekchian A. Heywood J. B. Rife J. M. “Time Resolved Measurements of the Exhaust from a Jet Ignition Prechamber Stratified Charge Engine” SAE Paper 770043 1977
- Tamura M. Sakurai T. Tai H. “A Study of Crevice Flow in a Gas Engine using Laser-induced Fluorescence” SAE Paper 2001-01-0913 2001