This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Large Eddy Simulation of Diesel Spray Combustion with Eddy-Dissipation Model and CIP Method by Use of KIVALES
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three-dimensional large eddy simulation (LES) has been conducted for a diesel spray flame using KIVALES which is LES version of KIVA code. Modified TAB model, velocity interpolation model and rigid sphere model are used to improve the prediction of the fuel-mixture process in the diesel spray. Combustion is simulated using the Eddy-Dissipation model. CIP method was incorporated into the KIVALES in order to suppress the numerical instability on the combustible flow. The formation of soot and NO was simulated using Hiroyasu model and KIVA original model. Three different grid resolutions were used to examine the grid dependency. The result shows that the LES approach with 0.5 mm grid size is able to resolve the instantaneous spray with the intermittency in the spray periphery, the axi-symmetric shape and meandering flow after the end of injection as shown in the experimental results. Furthermore, the cyclic variability at each injection is evaluated from the results of the five computations. As a result, LES can evaluate the cyclic variability at each injection, and the spray flame shape and the spatial temperature distribution are different at each calculation. However, significant differences between LES and experimental results are observed in terms of the heat release rate.
CitationHori, T., Kuge, T., Senda, J., and Fujimoto, H., "Large Eddy Simulation of Diesel Spray Combustion with Eddy-Dissipation Model and CIP Method by Use of KIVALES," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0247, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0247.
- Reitz R.D. and Diwakar, “Structure of High-Pressure Fuel Sprays”, SAE paper 870598, pp1-18 (1987).
- Kawano, D., Senda, J., Wada, Y., Fujimoto, H.,Goto, Y., Odaka, M., Ishii, H. and Suzuki, H., “Numerical Simulation of Multicomponent Fuel Spray”, SAE paper 2003-01-1838, 2003.
- Ito, T., “The clarification of the particle production mechanism on the unsteady spray combustion” (in Japanense), Ph D thesis, Doshisha University, 2004.
- Naitho Ken et al., “Large Eddy Simulation of Premixed-Flame in Engine based on the Multi-Level Formulation and Renormalization Group Theory”, SAE paper (920590), pp.1-16 (1992).
- Celik I et al., “Large eddy simulations of in-cylinder turbulence for internal combustion engines: a review”, Int. J. Engine Research 2, 2, pp.119-148 (2001).
- Lee Daniel, Pomraning Eric, Rutland Christopher J., LES Modeling of Diesel Engines, SAE technical paper, 2002-01-2779, pp.1-13, 2002.
- Apte S. V., Gorokhovski M., Moin P., LES of atomizing spray with stochastic modeling of secondary breakup, Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol 29, pp.1503-1522, 2003.
- Kimura,S., Kosaka, H., Himeno, R. and Matsui,Y., A Numerical Simulation of Turbulent Mixing in Transient Spray by LES (Comparison Between Numerical and Experimental Results of Transient Particle Laden Jets), SAE Paper No.2004-01-2014, (2004).
- Hu Bing and Rutland Christopher J., Flamelet Modeling with LES for Diesel Engine Simulations, SAE paper 2006-01-0058, pp.1-10, 2006.
- Jhavar Rahul and Rutland Christopher J., Using Large Eddy Simulations to Study Mixing Effects in Early Injection Diesel Engine Combustion, SAE paper 2006-01-0871, pp.1-14, 2006.
- Sone K., Menon S., Effect of Subgrid Modeling on the In-Cylinder Unsteady Mixing Process in a Direct Injection Engine, J. Eng. Gas Turb. Power, Vol. 125, pp. 435-443, 2003.
- Sone, K., Patel, N. V., and Menon, S., KIVALES: Large-Eddy Simulations of Internal Combustion Engines. Part I: Theory and Formulation, Technical Report CCL-00-008, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2000, http://www.ccl.gatech.edu/home_html.
- Sone, K., Patel, N. V., and Menon, S., KIVALES: Large-Eddy Simulations of Internal Combustion Engines. Part II: KIVALES User' s Manual, Technical Report CCL-00-009, Georgia Institute of Technology,2000.http://www.ccl.gatech.edu/home_html.
- Hori, T., Kuge, T., Senda, J. and Fujimoto H. Gen, “Large Eddy Simulation of Diesel Spray Structure in Constant Volume Vessel by Use of KIVALES”, ICLASS2006 in CD-ROM, 2006.
- Hori, T., Senda, J., Kuge T. and Fujimoto H. Gen, “Large Eddy Simulation of Evaporative Diesel Spray in Constant Volume Vessel by Use of KIVALES”, SAE Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference and Exhibition, SAE paper 2006-01-3334, 2006.
- Amsden, O' Rourke, KIVA-II: A Computer Program for Chemically Reactive Flows with Sprays, LA-11560-MS, Los Alamous National Laboratory, 1989.
- Menon S., Subgrid Combustion Modelling for Large-Eddy Simulations, Int. J. Engine Res., Vol.1, No.2, pp.209-227, 2000.
- Pope, Turbulent Flows, Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK, 2000.
- Takewaki, H., Nishiguchi, A. and Yabe, T., The Cubic-Interpolated Pseudo-Particle (CIP) Method for Solving Hyperbolic-Type Equations, J. Computer Physics, 61, pp.261-268, 1985.
- Amsden, “KIVA-3: A KIVA Program with Block-Structured Mesh for Complex Geometries”, LA-12503-MS, Los Alamous National Laboratory (1993).
- Magnussen, B. F., and Hjertager, B. H., On Mathematical Modeling of Turbulent Combustion with Special Emphasis on Soot Formation and Combustion, 16th Symposium (Int.) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, pp. 719-729, 1977.
- Hiroyasu, H., Kadota, T., Arai, M., Development and Use of a Spray Combustion Model to Predict Diesel Engine Efficiency and Pollutant Emissions. Part 1: Combustion Modeling, Bull JSME, Vol.26, No.214, pp.569-575,1983.
- Patterson M. A., Kong S.-C., Hampson G.J., and Reitz R. D., Modeling the Effects of Fuel Injection Characteristics on Diesel Engine Soot and NOx Emissions, SAE paper 940523, pp.1-17, 1994.
- Nordin Niklas, “The KIVA JumpStation”, http://www.tfd.chalmers.se/∼nordin/KJS/.
- Sudo, J., Matsubara, K., Kobayashi, M. Watanabe, H., and Matsudaira, Y., Coherent Structures in a Fully Developed Stage of a Non-isothermal Round Jet, JSME B Vol.69, No.681, pp.1200-1207, (2003).
- Hori, T., Kuge, T., Senda, J. and Fujimoto H. Gen, Large Eddy Simulation of Diesel spray in the high temperature and high pressure condition (in Japanese), Mechanical Engineering Congress Vol.3, pp.281-282, 2006.
- Nakamura, T., Tanaka, R., Yabe, T., and Takizawa, K., Exactly Conservative Semi-Lagrangian Scheme for Multi-dimensional Hyperbolic Equations with Directional Splitting Technique, J. Computational Physics 174, pp.171-207, 2001.