This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Extinction and Chemiluminescence Measurements in CR DI Diesel Engine Operating in HCCI Mode
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion was applied to a transparent diesel engine equipped with high pressure Common Rail (CR) injection system. By means of CR system the quantity of fuel was split into five injections per cycle.
Combined measurements, based on digital imaging and spectroscopic techniques, were applied to follow the evolution of HCCI combustion process with high temporal and spatial resolution. Digital imaging allowed to analyse injection and combustion phases. Broadband ultraviolet - visible extinction spectroscopy (BUVES) and flame emission measurements were carried out to evaluate the presence of radicals and species such as HCO, OH, CH, and CO. In particular, BUVES measurements were performed to follow fuel oxidation, and pollutant formation and oxidation.
During injection and cool combustion, bands of aromatic compounds and alkyl peroxides, indicating fuel decomposition, and hydrogen peroxides were detected. Autoignition was characterized by the presence of OH radical which was homogenously distributed in the chamber and provided for the reduction of particulate matter in the cylinder. Finally, OH could be considered as a marker of HCCI combustion and it could result a suitable tool to identify the different phases of combustion. The effect of different injection pressures was analysed.
CitationMancaruso, E., Merola, S., and Vaglieco, B., "Extinction and Chemiluminescence Measurements in CR DI Diesel Engine Operating in HCCI Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0192, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0192.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines, 2007
Number: SP-2100; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2100; Published: 2007-04-16
- Assanis, D. N. Najt, P. M. Dec J. E. Eng J. A. Asmus T. N. Zhao F. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines” Key research and Development Issues SAE International 2003
- Denbratt, I. Helmantel, A “HCCI Operation of a Passenger Car Common Rail DI Diesel Engine With Early Injection of Conventional Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper 2004-01-0935 2004
- Ryan, T. W. Callahan, T. J. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition of Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper 961160 1996
- Buchwald, R. Brauer, M. Blechstein, A. Sommer, A. Kahrstedt, J. “Adaptation of Injection System Parameters to Homogeneous Diesel Combustion” SAE Paper 2004-01-0936 2004
- Ra, Y. Reitz, R. D. “The Use of Variable Geometry Sprays With Low Pressure Injection for Optimization of Diesel HCCI Engine Combustion” SAE Paper 2005-01-0148 2005
- Hasegawa, R. Yanagihara, H. “HCCI Combustion in DI Diesel Engine” SAE Paper, SAE 2003-01-0745 2003
- Takeda, Y. Keiichi, N. Keiichi, N. “Emission Characteristics of Premixed Lean Diesel Combustion with Extremely Early Staged Fuel Injection,” SAE Paper 961163 1996
- Hildingsson, L. Persson, H. Johansson, B. Collin, R. Nygren, J. Richter, M. Aldén, M. Hasegawa, R. Yanagihara, H. “Optical Diagnostics of HCCI and UNIBUS Using 2-D PLIF of OH and Formaldehyde” SAE Paper 2005-01-0175 2005
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” Mc Graw-Hill NewYork 1988
- Merola, S. S. Vaglieco, B. M. Corcione, F. E. Mancaruso, E. “In-cylinder Combustion Analysis by Flame Emission Spectroscopy of Transparent CR Diesel Engine” SAE Paper n° 2003-01-1112 2003
- Corcione, F. E. Di Iorio, S. Mancaruso, E. Merola, S. S. Vaglieco, B. M. “Combustion Diagnostics of a Diesel Engine with Multiple Injection” THIESEL 2004 Conference on Thermo and Fluid Dynamic Processes in Diesel Engines 297 308 2004
- Hiroyasu, H. Kadota, T. “Fuel Droplet Size Distribution in a Diesel Combustion Chamber” SAE Paper n° 740715 1974
- Rao, C.N.R “Ultraviolet Rays and Visible Light Spectra” Butterworths & co London 1977
- Suzuki, M. Nishida, K. Hiroyasu, H. “Simultaneous Concentration Measurement of Vapour and Liquid in an Evaporating Diesel Spray” SAE Paper n° 930863 1993
- Astarita, M. Corcione, F. E. Vaglieco, B. M. Valentino, G. “Optical Diagnostics of Temporal and Spatial Evolution of a Reacting Diesel Fuel Jet” Combustion Science and Technologies 48 1 16 1999
- Merola, S. S. Vaglieco, B. M. Corcione, F. E. Formisano, G. “Spectral Analysis of Combustion Process of Common Rail Diesel Engine” SAE Paper n° 2002-01-1634 2002
- Mancaruso, E. Merola, S.S Vaglieco, B.M “Optical Monitoring of Radical Species in HCCI Mode of C R Diesel Engine” THIESEL 2006 Conference 177 188 Spain 2006
- Westbrook, C. K. “Chemical Kinetics of Hydrocarbon Ignition in Practical Combustion Systems” 28th International Symposium on Combustion Edinburgh, Scotland July 30 August 4 2000
- Aceves, S. M. Flowers, D. L. Matinez-Frias, J. Smith, R.J. et al. “HCCI Combustion: Analysis and Experiments” SAE Paper 2001-01-2077 2001
- Gaydon, A. G. “The spectroscopy of flames” Chapman and Hall London 1974
- Murase, E. Hanada, K. Miyaura, T. Ikeda, J. Konishi, N. “Experimental Studies of HCCI Combustion” COMODIA 2004 2004
- Musculus, M. P. B. “Multiple Simultaneous Optical Diagnostic Imaging of Early-Injection Low-Temperature Combustion in a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine” SAE Paper n° 2006-01-0079 2006
- Sheinson, R. S. Williams, F. W. Combustion and Flame 21 221 230 1973
- Zhao, H. Ladommatos, N. “Engine Combustion Instrumentation and Diagnostics” 2001 SAE International 2001
- Merola, S.S. Vaglieco, B. M. Mancaruso, E. “Soot Formation Analysis by Multiwavelength Spectroscopy in an External Chamber Diesel Engine equipped with a CR Injection System” SAE Paper n° 2003-01-1111 2003