This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
19-Color H2O Absorption Spectrometer Applied for Real-Time In-Cylinder Gas Thermometry in an HCCI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An all fiber-optic sensor has been developed to measure H2O mole fraction and gas temperature in an HCCI engine. This absorption-spectroscopy-based sensor utilizes a broad wavelength (1320 to 1380 nm) source (supercontinua generated by a microchip laser) and a series of fiber Bragg gratings (19 gratings centered on unique water absorption peaks) to track the formation and temperature of combustion water vapor. The spectral coverage of the system promises improved measurement accuracy over two-line diode-laser based systems. Meanwhile, the simplicity of the fiber Bragg grating chromatic dispersion approach significantly reduces the data reduction time and cost relative to previous supercontinuum-based sensors. The data provided by the system is expected to enhance studies of the chemical kinetics which govern HCCI ignition as well as HCCI modeling efforts.
- Chun Lan - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Andrew W. Caswell - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Laura A. Kranendonk - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Scott T. Sanders - Engine Research Center, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Yasuhira Urata - Tochigi R&D Center, Honda R&D Co., Ltd.
- Yasuhira Okura - Tochigi R&D Center, Honda R&D Co., Ltd.
CitationLan, C., Caswell, A., Kranendonk, L., Sanders, S. et al., "19-Color H2O Absorption Spectrometer Applied for Real-Time In-Cylinder Gas Thermometry in an HCCI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0188, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0188.
Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines, 2007
Number: SP-2100 ; Published: 2007-04-16
Number: SP-2100 ; Published: 2007-04-16
- Walewski, J. W., Borden, M. R., and Sanders, S. T., 2004, “Wavelength-Agile Laser System Based on Soliton Self-Shift and its Application for Broadband Spectroscopy,” Applied Physics B: Lasers and Optics, 79(8) pp. 937-940.
- Kranendonk, L. A., Bartula, R. J., and Sanders, S. T., 2005, “Modeless Operation of a Wavelength-Agile Laser by High-Speed Cavity Length Changes,” Optics Express, 13(5) pp. 1498-1507.
- Kranendonk, L. A., Walewski, J. W., and Kim, T., 2005, “Wavelength-Agile Sensor Applied for HCCI Engine Measurements,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 30pp. 1619-1627.
- Kranendonk, L. A., Walewski, J. W., and Sanders, S. T., 2006, “Measurements of Gas Temperature in a HCCI Engine using a Fourier Domain Mode Locking Laser,” Society of Automotive Engines, (2006-01-1366).
- Kano, H., and Hamaguchi, H., 2005, “Vibrationally Resonant Imaging of a Single Living Cell by Supercontinuum-Based Multiplex Coherent Anti-Stokes Raman Scattering Microspectroscopy,” Optics Express, 13(4) pp. 1322-1327.
- Alfano, R.R., 1989, “The Supercontinuum Laser Source,” Springer-Verlag, pp. 458.
- Kashyap, R., 1999, “Fiber Bragg Gratings,” Academic Press, San Diego,.
- Rothman, L. S., Jacquemart, D., and Barbe, A., 2005, “The HITRAN 2004 Molecular Spectroscopic Database,” Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, 96(2 SPEC ISS) pp. 139-204.
- Kranendonk L. A. and Sanders S. T., “High speed gas thermometry using Thorlabs's rapid swept tunable laser,” 2006.
- 2006, “Comparison of Time Constants Vs. overall Outside Diameter of Bare Thermocouple Wires Or Grounded Junction Thermocouples in Air,” http://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z051.pdf.
- Kranendonk, L. A., and Sanders, S. T., 2005, “Optical Design in Beam Steering Environments with Emphasis on Laser Transmission Measurements,” Applied Optics, 44(31) pp. 6762-6772.
- Urata, Y., Awasaka, M., and Takanashi, J., 2004, “A Study of Gasoline-Fuelled HCCI Engine Equipped with an Electromagnetic Valve Train,” Society of Automotive Engines, (2004-01-1898).
- Rothman, L. S., Barbe, A., and Benner, D. C., 2003, “The HITRAN Molecular Spectroscopic Database: Edition of 2000 Including Updates through 2001,” J.Quant.Spectrosc.Radiat.Transf., 82 pp. 5-44.
- Kranendonk, L. A., Huber, R., and Fujimoto, J. G., 2006, “Wavelength-Agile H2O Absorption Spectrometer for Thermometry of General Combustion Gases,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 31.
- Kranendonk, L. A., Walewski, J. W., and Kim, T., 2005, “Wavelength-Agile Sensor Applied for HCCI Engine Measurements,” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 30 pp. 1619-1627.