This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analytical Predictions for the Chain Drive System Resonance
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 16, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The chain link and sprocket tooth impact during a meshing has been identified as the most significant noise source in a chain drive system. This paper first presents the theoretical derivation of the chain drive natural frequencies and mode shapes using the equations of motion from a stationary undamped chain drive system. The theoretical derivation shows the existence of three types of chain resonances, namely the transverse strand resonance, the longitudinal chain sprocket coupled resonance and the longitudinal chain stress wave type resonance. The chain-sprocket meshing noise is amplified when the chain sprocket meshing frequency corresponds to any one of the above mentioned chain drive system resonances. These theoretical results are then validated by a chain drive system CAE model using ABAQUS to identify the chain drive system resonances. Furthermore, the hemi-anechoic test cell data based on a chain driven transmission also confirmed that a 10dB or higher deviation in the measured chain noise sound pressure levels was observed when the meshing frequencies excited the chain drive system resonance.
CitationLiu, J., Ramnath, D., and Adhikari, R., "Analytical Predictions for the Chain Drive System Resonance," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0112, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0112.
- Wang K.W. Liu S.P. “On the Noise and Vibration of Chain Drive Systems ” Shock and Vibration Digest 23 4 1991 8 13
- Uehara K. Nakajima T. “On the Noise of Roller Chain Drives” Proceedings 5th World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, ASME 1979 906 909
- Liu S.P. Dent A.M. Thornton J.W. Trethewey M.W. Wang K.W. Hayek S.I. Chen F.H.K. “Experimental Evaluation of Automotive Timing Chain Drive Impact Noise”, Proceedings of the 1995 Noise and Vibration Conference, SAE, 291 1 1995 33 42
- Binder E.C. Covert W.V. “Impact between Chain Roller and Sprocket in a Chain Drive” J. Franklin Inst 245 4 318 329 1948
- Ryabov G.K. “Inertia Effects of Impact Loading in Chain Drives” Russian Engineering Journal 48 8 17 19
- Fawcett J.N. Nichol S.W. 1979 “A Theoretical Investigation of the Vibrations of Roller Chain Drives ” Proceedings 5th World Congress on the Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, ASME 2 1482 1485
- Chew M.S. “Inertia Effect of a Roller-Chain on Impact Intensity” Transactions of the ASME”, Journal of Mechanisms, Transmission, and Automation in Design 107 1985 123 130
- Wang K.W Liu S.P. Hayek S.I. Chen F.H.K. “On the Impact Intensity of Axially Moving Vibrating Roller Chains” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 114 3 1992 397 403
- Liu S.P. Wang K. W. Hayek S. I. Trethewey M. W. Chen K. H. K. “ A global-local integrated study of roller chain meshing dynamics” Journal of Sound and Vibration 1997 203 1 41 41 62
- Zheng H. Wang Y.Y. Liu G.R. Lam K.Y. Quek K.P. Ito T. Nogucehi Y. #x0201C;Efficient Modelling and Prediction of Meshing Noise from Chain Drives” Journal of Sound and Vibration 2001 245 1 133 150
- Liu S.P. “Impact Dynamics of Chain Drive Systems” Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Engineering Science and Mechanics Penn State University 1994
- Sack S. “Transverse Oscillations in Traveling Strings” British Journal of Applied Physics 5 224 226 1954
- Mahalingam S. “Transverse Vibration of Power Transmission Chains” British Journal of Applied Physics 8 145 148 1957
- Nichol S.W. Fawcett J.N. “Vibrational Characteristics of Roller Chain Drives” Engineering (London) 217 1 1977 30 32