This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
LDA Measurement of an Intermittent High-Speed Flow inside a Micro Wave Rotor Cell
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 23, 2007 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Velocity measurement of an intermittent high-speed flow inside a micro wave rotor cell was carried out using a laser Doppler anemometry (LDA). The cell is 3 × 3 mm rectangular tube, whose length is 42 mm. The pressure ratio and rotor speed of the wave rotor were set at 2.5 and 5,000 rpm, respectively. Ethanol droplets were seeded into the flow as scattering particles. By use of laser beam expanders, the probe volume of the LDA optics was minimized, and sub-millimeter special resolution is realized while a wide velocity range (-100 to 300 m/s) is kept. It is shown that the velocity histories at local positions inside the wave rotor cell can be obtained with the LDA optics. The rapid velocity increase and decrease, due to the primary and secondary shock waves, are observed, and the propagation speed of the shock waves was estimated. It is shown that the velocity profile inside the cell is flat and that the boundary layer thickness inside the cell is smaller than 0.5 mm. It is shown that the effect of viscosity is relatively small in such a micro wave rotor.
CitationAraki, M., Ishima, T., Obokata, T., Arai, M. et al., "LDA Measurement of an Intermittent High-Speed Flow inside a Micro Wave Rotor Cell," SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0010, 2007, https://doi.org/10.4271/2007-01-0010.
- Epstein, A. H. et al. AIAA Paper 97-1773 1997
- Fatsis, A. et al. Aerospace Science and Technology 5 1999 293 299
- Wilson, J. et al. NASA Technical Memorandum 4486 1993
- Okamoto, K. et al. Proc. the 15th International Symposium on Airbreathing Engines (CD-Rom) ISABE 2001-1222 2001
- Okamoto, K. et al. Proc. Asian Joint Conference on Propulsion and Power (CD-Rom) AJCPP 2005-21021 2005
- Gyarmathy, G. SAE Paper 830234 1983
- Obokata, T. Journal of the Gas Turbine Society of Japan (in Japanese) 29 4 2001 255 261
- Liepmann, H. W. Roshko, A. Elements of Gasdynamics John Wiley & Sons Inc. London 1960
- Haimovitch, Y. et al. AIAA J. 35 4 1997 663 670
- Iiya, K. et al. The Handbook of Powder Engineering (in Japanese) Asakura Shoten 1965 254
- Hino, M. Fluid Dynamics (in Japanese) Asakura Shoten 1992 220 221