This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computer Simulation and Optimisation of an Intake Camshaft for a Restricted 600cc Four-Stroke Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The use of inlet-restricted engines is commonplace in many motor sport applications and is particularly relevant for FSAE or Formula Student teams. The study outlined in this paper uses an engine simulation package, Virtual 4-Stroke, to predict the propagation of unsteady gas flow through an inlet-restricted 600cc four-stroke FSAE engine and hence optimise its geometry to maximise torque output.
The Automated Design feature of the Virtual 4-Stroke package uses an intelligent Design-of-Experiments approach to obtain the optimum combination of a given set of geometric variables. This feature was used to find the engine configuration that maximises the torque output over the speed range 4000rpm to 12,000rpm. The variables investigated included the inlet pipe length, inlet plenum volume, inlet and exhaust camshaft opening time, duration and lift, with a total of 108 possible combinations. Provided there is an accurate baseline model, Virtual 4-Stroke can accurately predict the effect of a changed profile on the unsteady gas dynamics within the engine, and the resulting torque output.
It was found that one of the most significant factors to affect the torque output was the duration of the intake camshaft. Based on the model predictions, a modified intake camshaft profile was therefore manufactured.
Dynamometer testing provided good correlation with the simulations and improvements of 8% were found over the useable engine speed range from 5500rpm to 10,500rpm. Details of the model inputs, optimised camshaft profile and dynamometer test results are included and discussed.
CitationTaylor, J., McKee, R., McCullough, G., Cunningham, G. et al., "Computer Simulation and Optimisation of an Intake Camshaft for a Restricted 600cc Four-Stroke Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0071, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-32-0071.
- Farrugia Mario Rossey Mike Sangeorzan Brian P. “On the Use of a Honda 600cc 4-Cylinder Engine for Formula SAE Competition” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-0025
- Davis Greg A. Dahlheimer Nicholas Meyer David Messenger Aaron Steven Johnson James Bettig Bernhard “Incorporation of a High Performance, Four-Cylinder, Four-Stroke Motorcycle Engine into a Snowmobile Application” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-3678
- Jameson Renee T. Hodgins Patrick A. “Improvement of the Torque Characteristics of a Small, High-Speed Engine Through the Design of Helmholtz-Tuned Manifolding” SAE 900680
- Blair G.P. Callender E. Mackey D.O. “Maps of Discharge Coefficients for Valves, Ports and Throttles” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1798 / 4219
- Blair G.P. Mackey D.O. Ashe M.C. Chatfield G.F. “On Improving the Accuracy of the Simulation of Reciprocating Engines”
- Westin Fredrik “Optimization of Turbocharged Engines Transient Response With Application on a Formula SAE/Student Engine” SAE Paper No. 2005-01-2113
- Noyori Takahiro Matsui Tokio Ohira Tetsuya Akamatsu Yuji Nakamura Takeshi “Development of a 660cc Turbo-charged Spark-Ignition Direct-Injection Engine” SAE Paper No. 2003-32-0013
- Schmid K. R. Johnson R. T. “A Single Cylinder Engine Study of Lean Supercharged Operation for Spark Ignition Engines” SAE Paper No. 830146
- McKee R.H. McCullough G. Cunningham G. Taylor J.O. McDowell N. Taylor J.T. McCullough R. “Experimental Optimisation of Manifold and Camshaft Geometries for a Restricted 600cc Four-cylinder Four-stroke Engine” SAE Paper No. 2006-32-0070
- VIRTUAL ENGINES Engine Simulation Software VIRTUAL 4-Stroke and VIRTUAL 2-Stroke Optimum Power Technology Bridgeville, PA www.optimum-power.com
- Blair G.P. “Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines” Society of Automotive Engineers, 0-7680-0440-3 1999
- Blair G.P. “Breathing Easy” Race Engine Technology 1 2 Autumn 2003 46 51 1740-6803
- Blair G.P. “Catching Breath” Race Engine Technology 1 3 Winter 2003 50 58 1740-6803
- Ham Yun Young Park Pyongwan “The Effects of Intake Valve Events on Engine Breathing Capability” SAE Paper No. 912470
- Novak James M. Kach Raymond A. “Computer Optimization of Camshaft Lift Profiles for a Nascar V-8 Engine With Restrictor Plate” SAE Paper No. 962514
- Piper Cams http://www.pipercams.co.uk
- Plint M. Martyr A.J. “Engine Testing: Theory and Practice” Second Butterworth Heinemann 1999