This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Statistical Approach Towards Connecting Rod Optimization
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses a structured and scientific use of statistical method, Design of Experiments (DoE), in conjunction with classical optimization techniques for the optimization of connecting rod weight. Using the response surface methodology, a transfer function was obtained to find the parametric relationship between the contributing factors and the response (weight). This transfer function was the objective function for minimization optimization problem. A multi-variable constrained optimization code was written in Matlab to find the minimum weight subject to the constraints of minimum fatigue factors of safety at critical locations and under buckling load. Sequential quadratic programming (SQP) algorithm was used for this constrained optimization. It was concluded that considerable weight saving (10.2 %) can be obtained using this approach and this method can be an efficient and cost effective way of optimization of connecting rod.
CitationTiwari, S., Kumar, S., and Pattabiraman, V., "A Statistical Approach Towards Connecting Rod Optimization," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0068, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-32-0068.
- Neilson J.C.O. Fredo C.R. “Multidisciplinary optimization of railway wheels” Journal of Sound and Vibration 293 2006 510 521
- Zhixue Wu “An efficient approach for shape optimization of components” International Journal of Mechanical Sciences 47 2005 1595 1610
- Yoo Y.M. Hang E.J. Choi K.K. “Shape optimal design of an engine connecting rod” Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions and Automation in Design, Transactions of ASME 106 1984 415 419
- Pai C.L. “The shape optimization of a connecting rod with fatigue life constraint” International Journal of Materials and Product Technology 11 56 1996 357 370
- Yang R.J. Dewhirst D.L. Lee A. “Shape optimization of connecting rod pin end using a generic model” Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 11 1992 257 264
- Shigley J.E. John J.U. Pennock G.R. Theory of Machines and Mechanisms” Oxford University Press 2003
- Kolchin A. Demidov V. “Design of Automotive Engines” Mir Publishers Moscow 1984
- Webster W.D. Coffell R. Alfaro D. “A Three Dimensional Finite Element Analysis of a High Speed Diesel Engine Connecting Rod” SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper No. 831322 1983
- Sonsino C.M. Esper F.J. “Fatigue Design for PM Components” European Powder Metallurgy Association 1994
- Norton R.L. “Machine Design - An Integrated Approach” Prentice Hall 1996