This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Modernized State-of-the-Art Testing Machine for Chain Saw Kickback
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An overview of the design of the kickback machine can be extracted from ISO 9518 . Details and specific information were spelled out in a bill of material defined during the development process leading to ISO 9518, but today these materials are no longer available.
The presented paper describes the newly designed kickback machine, which fulfills the requirements given by ISO 9518 by using an electronic measurement method to determine the released kinetic energies necessary to calculate the “computed kickback angle” CKA, which enhances the accuracy of the test. Moreover, the measurement principle allows a direct computation of the velocity at which the wooden test sample hits the moving saw chain to provoke the kickback of the saw. Thus, the necessary number of sensors on the testing machine is reduced, by eliminating the velocity-timing-device.
In summary, a state-of-the-art kickback machine is presented featuring electronic measurement technique of crucial data and very efficient data processing with the advantage of an audit proof testing procedure starting at the data generation and ending with the printed test report. Moreover, the design data of the kickback machine presented in this paper can be used to replace the lost design data and complement the information given by ISO 9518 for future applications.
- Hans-Juergen Kleminski - Forschungs- und Transferzentrum (FTZ)
- Frank Piller - TUV-Rheinland
- André Markwardt - TUV-Rheinland
- Werner Feuker - TUV-Rheinland
- Peter Stuecke - West Saxon University
- Karl-Heinz Neumann - West Saxon University
- Hubert Falke - GAF, Gesellschaft für Akustik und Fahrzeugmesswesen mbH
CitationStuecke, P., Neumann, K., Kleminski, H., Falke, H. et al., "A Modernized State-of-the-Art Testing Machine for Chain Saw Kickback," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0040, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-32-0040.
- Forestry machinery - Portable chain-saws - Kickback test 1998
- Safety Requirements for Gasoline Powered Chain Saws 2000
- Machinery for forestry - Portable chain-saw safety requirements and testing - Part 1: Chain-saws for forest service 2004