This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Catalytically Assisted Combustion of JP-8 in a 1 kW Low-Compression Genset
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 13, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to satisfy the single-fuel initiative, the US Armed Forces have need of man-portable electrical generation that will operate on JP-8 fuel. Previous conversions use diesel engines, which tend to be large and heavy - partially due to the high compression ratios necessary. This research shows the conversion process and performance of a low compression ratio gasoline genset for JP-8 operation. Central to this conversion was a catalytic plasma torch that replaces the conventional spark plug, and slight modifications to the fuel system. Comparisons between the stock gasoline genset and modified JP-8 genset are given for: power output, emissions, fuel flow, and efficiency. The tests were conducted in a cold chamber under 25 °C, 4 °C, and -10 °C conditions. The JP-8 conversion added minimal weight to the genset that can be started by hand with a pull cord. Power output of the JP-8 genset was comparable to the stock gasoline genset in 25 °C conditions, slightly degraded at 4 °C, and tended to operate erratically at -10 °C. Despite current limitations, the union of a catalytic plasma torch with JP-8 fuels holds promise of achieving a single fuel military.
CitationCordon, D., Walker, M., Beyerlein, S., Steciak, J. et al., "Catalytically Assisted Combustion of JP-8 in a 1 kW Low-Compression Genset," SAE Technical Paper 2006-32-0024, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-32-0024.
- Morton, A.T. “Homogeneous Charge Combustion of Aqueous Ethanol in a High Compression Catalytic Engine,” University of Idaho 2000
- Cherry, M. Morrisset R. Beck N. “Extending Lean Limit with Mass-Timed Compression Ignition Using a Plasma Torch,” Society of Automotive Engineers Paper # 921556 1992
- Cherry, M. Catalytic-Compression Timed Ignition December 18 1990
- Cho, P. Law C. “Catalytic Ignition of Fuel/Oxygen/Nitrogen Mixtures over Platinum,” Combustion and Flame 66 159 170 1986
- Pfefferle, L. “Catalysis in Combustion, Catalysis Reviews,” Science and Engineering 29 219 267 1987
- Clarke, E. “Characterization of Aqueous Ethanol Homogeneous Charge Catalytic Compression Ignition,” University of Idaho 2001
- Heywood, J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Turns, S. An Introduction to Combustion McGraw-Hill 2000
- Stone, R. Introduction to Internal Combustion Engines Society of Automotive Engineers 1999
- Steinfeld, G. Sanderson, R. Ghezel-Ayagh, H. Abens, S. “Distillate Fuel Processing for Marine Fuel Cell Applications,” Spring Meeting of AICHE Atlanta, GA 2000
- Walker, M.C. “Catalytically-Assisted Combustion of JP-8 in a 1 kW Low-Compression Genset,” University of Idaho 2003