This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study on the Underbody Flow of the Vehicle (CFD Analysis Via LES for Simplified Underbody Configuration)
Published May 01, 2006 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Event: JSAE Spring Conference
This paper describes the LES calculation on the Earth Simulator at Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology, focusing on the aerodynamic characteristics of the simplified ASMO vehicle. The CFD code "Front Flow-red HPC version," developed at IIS, Univ. of Tokyo, was used, achieving vector computation rate of ca. 95% and parallel computation of ca. 99% for ca. 25 million elements. The pressure distributions on the vehicle body, including those of the base region, were successfully reproduced, reconfirming the superiority of LES modelling even for the vehicle aerodynamics. The results were compared with RANS results and the wake structures were also discussed.
- Zhang Huilei - Advance Software
- Keiji Ohnishi - Advance Software
- Kozo Kitoh - Kozo Onigashira Consulting
- Nobuyuki Oshima - Hokkaido Univ.
- Takuji Tominaga - Hokkaido Univ.
- Makoto Tsubokura - The University of Electro-Communications
- Simone Sebben - Volvo Car
- Toshio Kobayashi - Japan Automobile Research Institute