This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of the Interfacial Plate Temperatures within a Carbon Clutch, and Determination of Effects upon its Friction Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 05, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The clutch of an F1 car is a key component in the achievement of a successful launch. At this point, the clutch will do more work than at any other time during the race. The clutch can be held slipping for up to 8 seconds, causing considerable heat generation in the friction plates.
This paper describes an investigation of the thermal mechanics of the clutch during the launch, and how the heat generated by the period of slipping could affect the frictional properties of the clutch plates.
Using a simple single-plate clutch, data from a clutch dynamometer has been accumulated over a range of launch scenarios, including re-starts and short and long slip periods.
By analyzing and comparing the data, a wider range of clutch scenarios can be evaluated, including the effects of varying the design parameters of the clutch, along with a more detailed investigation into the effects of banding upon the friction plates.
|Technical Paper||A Linear Thermal Model for an Automotive Clutch|
|Technical Paper||The New Twin XTend - A Self-Adjusting 2 Plate 15.5″ Clutch for the US Class 8 Truck Market|
|Technical Paper||Application of Turbine Power at the Indianapolis ‘500’|
CitationLawrence, G., Mace, G., Bowler, N., Goddard, G. et al., "Measurement of the Interfacial Plate Temperatures within a Carbon Clutch, and Determination of Effects upon its Friction Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3634, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3634.
- Innovative Brake Disc Design through Research, Mace Gael - AP Racing 2004.
- Brake Disc Thermal Mapping System, Honner M. Ph.D, Kunes J. DrSc. University of West Bohemia New Technologies Research Centre, 2004 - 2005
- Brake Disc Thermal Mapping System, Musil J.. University of West Bohemia New Technologies Research Centre, 2004 - 2005
- Technology and Material for High Thermal Conductivity Coating for Brake Systems, Enzl R.. University of West Bohemia New Technologies Research Centre, 2004 - 2005
- Measurement of Interfacial Temperatures During Testing of a Subscale Aircraft Brake Dinwiddle, Ralph. B; Marx, David. T; Policandtiotes, Tod; Scott, Jeremy; Wang, Hsin; Zhang, Su (2001). Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, United States: Institute of Physics Publishing Ltd. Available from http://iop.org [18th July 2005]
- GIBSON D.W, TACCINI G.J. Carbon/Carbon Friction Materials for Dry and Wet Brake and Clutch Applications, 890950, SAE International, Warrendale, PA, 1989.
- RACE ENGINE TECHNOLOGY (2004). Insight - Engineering in Miniature. London: Racecar Graphic Ltd (Volume 2, Issue 1 p50-55 - Summer 2004).
- SHAVER, RAY (1997). Manual Transmission Clutch Systems. SAE International. Warrendale PA.