This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Structural Considerations of a Baja SAE Frame
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 05, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The structure of a Baja SAE car is designed to be lightweight and ensure driver protection similar to the Formula SAE series; however the loading conditions that a Baja SAE car sees are very different. The terrain that the car drives over is the key difference. Baja cars drive on very dynamic terrain that often cannot be classified as a road. This terrain leads to load cases that put very high dynamic stresses on the frame. These may include symmetric or asymmetric suspension loading, impact loading, as well as drivetrain loading.
The testing for this work was conducted on the endurance track for the SAE Mini Baja East 2006 race. The two specific load cases presented in this work were conducted on controlled sections of the track. Also, random data was taken on other areas of the track. This track is considered to have a sampling of obstacles and terrain that would be a good representative of what SAE Baja vehicles typically encounter. This work considers basic frame requirements, and explores several of these load cases using both experimental and numerical tools.
CitationOwens, A., Jarmulowicz, M., and Jones, P., "Structural Considerations of a Baja SAE Frame," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3626, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3626.
- Cook, Robert D. Malkus, David S. Plesha, Michael E. Witt, Robert J. Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis 3rd John Wiley and Sons 2001
- Przemieniecki, J. S. Theory of Matrix Structural Analysis Dover 1985
- Riley, William B. George, Albert R. “Design, Analysis and Testing of a Formula SAE Car Chassis,” SAE Paper 2002-01-3300
- Silva, M. M. Oliviera, L. P. Neto, A. C. Varoto, P. S. “An Experimental Investigation on the Modal Characteristics of an Off-Road Competition Vehicle Chassis,” SAE Paper 2003-01-3689
- Heydinger, Gary J. Bixel, Ronald A. Garrott, W. Riley Pyne, Michael Howe, J. Gavin Guenther, Dennis A. “Measured Vehicle Inertial Parameters - NHTSA's Data Through November 1998,” SAE Paper 1999-01-1336
- ABAQUS Analysis User's Manual v. 6.5-1