This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Formula SAE Tire Test Consortium-Tire Testing and Data Handling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published December 05, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Formula SAE Tire Test Consortium (FSAE TTC) was established to provide high quality tire data to participating FSAE teams for use in the design and setup of their racecars. Currently, data on ten different constructions of tires has been measured at Calspan's Tire Research Facility and distributed to all consortium members.
In this paper we review the history of the FSAE TTC-the inception, organization and continuing operation of this all-volunteer effort. Details of tire testing will be explored, including the many options and constraints considered while designing the tire test matrix. Finally, a review of the measured data is provided. This includes a description of all the output channels and an overview of ways in which FSAE teams can make use of the data.
CitationKasprzak, E. and Gentz, D., "The Formula SAE Tire Test Consortium-Tire Testing and Data Handling," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3606, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3606.
- Broulheit, G., “The Suspension and the Automobile Steering Mechanism: Shimmy and Tramp”, Société des Ingénieurs Civils de France, bulletin 78, 1925.
- Becker, G., Fromm H. and Maruhn H., “Vibrations of the Steering Systems of Automobiles”, Krayn, Berlin, 1931.
- Evans, R.D, “Properties of Tires Affecting Riding, Steering and Handling”, JSAE, February 1935.
- Bull, W. A., “Tire Behavior in Steering”, Journal of Society of Automotive Engineering, vol. 45, no.2, p. 344, 1939.
- Bradley, J. and Allen R. F., “Factors Affecting the Behaviour of Rubber-Tyred Wheels on Road Surfaces”, 1930-31 Proc. Inst. Automobile Eng., vol. 25, p. 63, 1930.
- Close, W. and Muzzey C., “A Device for Measuring Mechanical Characteristics of Tyres on the Road”, The Insitution of Mechanical Engineers, London, 1956.
- Bird, K.D. and Martin J. F., “The Calspan Tire Research Facility: Design, Development and Initial Test Results”, SAE Paper No. 730582, presented at the SAE Automobile Engineering Meeting, Detroit, Michigan, May 14-18, 1973.
- Formula SAE Forums: www.fsae.com
- FSAE Tire Test Consortium website: www.millikenresearch.com/fsaettc.html
- Tire Performance Technology, SAE J2047, Technical Standard, Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA, 1998.