This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Investigation into the Relationship between the Driver's Steering Characteristics and the Visual and Body Sensory Information in Critical Cornering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Various studies have been done into the steering models that describe how the driver steers the vehicle. However, no steering models for critical cornering have been developed. In this paper, the steering characteristic was investigated by monitoring the gaze of the driver during critical cornering. The direction of the steering model during critical cornering was considered. Since the driver can readily perceive the vehicle body slip angle if body sensory information is combined with visual information, it is important for the driver to be able to look at the target course easily and to control the drift well. Drivers exhibit the tendency to position their gaze point on a difficult corner exit to drive when body sensory information is combined with visual information. Thus, it was found that the driver can perceive the roll motion and visual feedback the body slip angle, and drive while stabilizing the vehicle from the corner exit to back straight. During grip cornering, the driver looks at the inside forward of the vehicle which is the target course, but when commencing drift cornering the driver shifts his/her gaze to the outside forward of the vehicle. Therefore, it was concluded that the driver steers via a visual feedback process of the body slip angle.
CitationNozaki, H., "An Investigation into the Relationship between the Driver's Steering Characteristics and the Visual and Body Sensory Information in Critical Cornering," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3484, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3484.
- Kondo. M. “About a basic relation which exists between the steer and the movement of vehicle” Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan (JSAE) 5 1958
- Yoshimoto. K. “Simulation of man car system by steer model which contains forecast” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME) 71 596 1181 1186 1968
- Iguchi. M. “Running stability of car seen from drive person's movement characteristic” Journal of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (JSME) 62 491 1715 1722 1959
- Watanabe. Y. Sayers M.W. “Extending Vehicle Dynamics Software for Analysis, Design, Control, and Real-Time Testing” Proc. of AVEC'02 20024545 407 412 2002
- Pacejka H.B. Sharp R. S. “Shear Force Development by Pneumatic Tyres in Steady State Conditions: A Review of Modelling Aspects” Vehicle System Dynamics 20 121 176 1991