This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Production and Prototype, Second-Generation Aerodynamic Drag-Reducing Devices for Tractor-Trailers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 31, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The National Research Council of Canada (NRC) has completed the second round of full-scale wind tunnel tests on Class-8 tractor-trailer combinations. The primary intent of the program is to effect a reduction in greenhouse-gas emissions by reducing the fuel consumption of trucks through aerodynamic drag reduction. Add-on aerodynamic components developed at the NRC several decades ago have become important contenders for drag reduction. This program has encouraged the commercialization of these technologies and this round of tests evaluated the first commercial products.
Three primary devices have been evaluated, with the combination able to reduce fuel consumption by approximately 6,667 liters (1,761 US gal) annually, based on 130,000 km (81,000 miles) traveled per tractor at a speed of 100 km/hr (62 mi/hr).
CitationLeuschen, J. and Cooper, K., "Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Production and Prototype, Second-Generation Aerodynamic Drag-Reducing Devices for Tractor-Trailers," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3456, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3456.
- Cooper, K. R. Truck Aerodynamics Reborn - Lessons from the Past SAE Truck and Bus Conference and Exposition, SAE 2003-01-3376 Houston, TX Nov. 2003
- Cooper, K. R. Leuschen, J Model and Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Tests of Second-Generation Aerodynamic Fuel Saving Devices for Tractor-Trailers SAE 2005-01-3512 . SAE Commercial Vehicle Engineering Conference Chicago, IL, USA Oct. 2005
- Cooper, K.R. Wind Tunnel Wall Corrections for Automotive Shapes in Closed-Jet Wind Tunnels Society of Automotive Engineers Special Publication SAE SP-1176 Warrendale, MI, USA Feb. 1996
- Wood, R. M. Bauer, S. X. S. Simple and Low-Cost Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Tractor-Trailer Trucks SAE 2003-01-3377 , SAE Truck and Bus Conference and Exposition Houston, TX, USA Nov. 2003
- Cooper, K.R. SAE Wind Tunnel Test Procedure for Trucks and Buses SAE Recommended Practice J1252 Aug. 1979