This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Split Injections at Low Load in an HDDI Diesel Engine Equipped with a Piezo Injector
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to investigate the effects of split injection on emission formation and engine performance, experiments were carried out using a heavy duty single cylinder diesel engine. Split injections with varied dwell time and start of injection were investigated and compared with single injection cases. In order to isolate the effect of the selected parameters, other variables were kept constant. In this investigation no EGR was used. The engine was equipped with a common rail injection system with a piezo-electric injector. To interpret the observed phenomena, engine CFD simulations using the KIVA-3V code were also made.
The results show that reductions in NOx emissions and brake specific fuel consumption were achieved for short dwell times whereas they both were increased when the dwell time was prolonged. No EGR was used so the soot levels were already very low in the cases of single injections. The results indicated, however, no increase in soot as a result of splitting the injection in two parts. Both HC and CO emissions were found to increase with split injections.
CitationEhleskog, R., Golovitchev, V., Denbratt, I., Andersson, S. et al., "Experimental and Numerical Investigation of Split Injections at Low Load in an HDDI Diesel Engine Equipped with a Piezo Injector," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3433, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3433.
- Statistiska centralbyrån. http://www.scb.se/, jan 2005.
- Tow T. C., Pierpoint D. A., and Reitz R. D.. Reducing particulate and NOx emissions by using multiple injections in a heay duty D.I. diesel engine, SAE 940897. SAE, 1994.
- Nehmer D. A. and Reitz R. D.. Measurement of the effect of injection rate and split injections on diesel engine soot and NOx emissions, SAE 940668. In Diesel Combustion Processes and Emision Control (SP-1028). SAE, feb 1994.
- Zhiyu Han, All Uludogan, Hampson Gregory J., and Reitz Rolf D. Mechanism of soot and NOx emission reduction using multiple-injection in a diesel engine, SAE 960633. In Multidimensional Engine Modelling (SP1169). SAE, 1996.
- Babu A. K. and Devaradjane G. Control of diesel engine pollutants by split injection method using multizone model, SAE 2001-28-0007. In Second International SAE India Mobility Conference Technology Directions for Clean, Safe and Efficient Vehicles. SAE, 2001.
- Zhang Yuyin and Keiya Nishida. Vapor/liquid behaviours in split-injection D.I. diesel sprays in a 2-D model combustion chamber, SAE 2003-01-1837. SAE, may 2003.
- Zhang Yuyin and Keiya Nishida. Effect of injection temporal splitting on the characteristics of fuel-air mixture formation in a common rail diesel spray. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 218(3):323-331, may 2003.
- Amagai Kenji, Hashimoto Yukihiro, and Arai Masataka. Ignition and combustion characteristics of two-stage injection diesel spray. In JSAE Review, volume 20, pages 401-411. JSAE, jul 1999.
- Ganippa Lionel Chrisopher, Andersson Sven, and Chomiak Jerzy. Transient measurements of discharge coefficents of diesel nozzles, SAE 2000-01-2788. In Combustion and emissions formation in SI and diesel engines (SP-1562), Journal of Engines. SAE, okt 2000.
- Husberg Tobias, Manente Vittorio, Ehleskog Rickard, and Andersson Sven. Fuel flow impingement measurements on multi-orifice diesel nozzles, SAE 2006-01-1552. SAE, mar 2006.
- Golovitchev V.I., Tanaka K. Atarashiya, K., and Yamada S. Towards universal edc-based combustion model for compression ignited engine simulations, SAE 2003-01-1849.
- Kong S.C., Han Z.W., and Reitz R.D. The development and application of a diesel ignition and combustion model for multidimensional engine simulations. SAE 950278. Journal of Engines, 104:502--518, 1995.
- Warnatz J., Maas U., and Dibble R.W. Combustion - Physical and Chemical Fundamentals, Modeling and Simulation, Experiments, Pollutant Formation. Springer-Verlag, 2nd edition, 1999.
- Heywood John B.. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals. McGraw-Hill book company, 1988.