This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cycle-to-cycle Fluctuations of Combustion Noise in a Diesel Engine at Low Speed
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cycle-to-cycle and cylinder-to-cylinder fluctuations of a Diesel engine are studied in terms of combustion and radiated noise. Cyclic fluctuations of the combustion noise are found to be the highest for the lowest engine speed, notably for idling condition. Thermodynamic parameters qualifying each cycle such as the maximum pressure derivative or the maximum rate of heat release are determined from the cylinder pressure signal. The trapped air mass and the auto-ignition delay are estimated for each cycle. Correlation coefficients between parameters on the same cycle or with a cyclic lag or from cylinder-to-cylinder are determined. Results show that the combustion noise is correlated to the maximum rate of heat release. At low engine speed and for the case of cylinder-to-cylinder fluctuations, correlations are found compliant with cylinder ignition order. This could be the key parameter for cycle-to-cycle fluctuations of the combustion noise at low BMEP.
|Technical Paper||Effect of Combustion Process on DI Diesel Engine Combustion Noise|
|Technical Paper||Methods for Analyzing Order Spectra|
|Technical Paper||Noise Control in Hydraulic Systems|
CitationGazon, M. and Blaisot, J., "Cycle-to-cycle Fluctuations of Combustion Noise in a Diesel Engine at Low Speed," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3410, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3410.
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill New York 1988
- Ozdor, N. Dulger, M. Sher, E. “Cyclic variability in Spark Ignition engines, a literature survey” SAE Paper 940987 1994
- Dai, W. Trigui, N. Lu, Y. “Modeling of cyclic variations in Spark Ignition engines” SAE Paper 2000-01-2036 2000
- Ozdor, N. Dulger, M. Sher, E. “An experimental study of the cyclic variability in Spark Ignition engines” SAE Paper 960611 1996
- Wolschendorf, J. Dürnholz, M. Schmillen, K. “The IDI Diesel engine and its combustion noise variations” SAE Paper 910228 1991
- Goering, C.E. “Engine heat release via spread sheet” Transaction of the ASAE 41 5 1249 1253 1998
- Gatowski, J.A. Balles, E.N. Chun, K.M. Nelson, F.E. Ekchian, J.A. Heywood, J.B. “Heat Release Analysis of Engine Pressure Data” SAE Paper 841359 1984
- Koopmans, L. Backlund, O. Denbratt, I. “Cycle-to-Cycle Variations: Their Influence on Cycle Resolved Gas Temperature and Unburned Hydrocarbons from a Camless Gasoline Compression Ignition Engine” SAE Paper 2002-01-0110 2002
- Galinsky, G. Reader, G.T. Potter, I.J. Gustafson, R.W. “Effect of various working fluid compositions on combustion noise in Diesel engines” 1157 1162 1994
- Imoto, K. Sugiyama, S. Fukuzawa, Y. “Reduction of Combustion-Induced Noise in IDI Diesel Engine” Transactions of JSME 63 605 329 335 1997