This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of a FTIR Emission Measurement System for Legislated Emissions Using a SI Car
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A series of chassis dynamometer test trials were conducted to assess the performance of a Fourier Transform Infra Red (FTIR) system developed for on-road vehicle exhaust emissions measurements. Trials used a EURO 1 emission compliant SI passenger car which, alongside the FTIR, was instrumented to allow the routine logging of engine speed, road speed, throttle position, air-fuel ratio, air flow and fuel flow in addition to engine, exhaust and catalyst temperatures. The chassis dynamometer facility incorporated an ‘industry standard’ measurement system comprising MEXA7400 gas analyzer and CVS bag sampling which was the ‘benchmark’ for the evaluation of FTIR legislated gas-phase emissions (CO, NOx, THC and CO2) measurements.
Initial steady state measurements demonstrated strong correlations for CO, NOx and THC (R2 of 0.99, 0.97 0.99, respectively) and a good correlation for CO2 (R2 = 0.92). Subsequent transient and total mass emissions measurements from replicate samplings of four different driving cycles (two standard cycles, FTP75 and NEDC, and two novel cycles based on real-world data collected in Leeds) also show good response of FTIR and satisfied agreement between the FTIR and CVS bag sampling measurements.
In general, the trial results demonstrate that the on-board FTIR emission measurement system provides reliable in-journey emissions data.
CitationLi, H., Ropkins, K., Andrews, G., Daham, B. et al., "Evaluation of a FTIR Emission Measurement System for Legislated Emissions Using a SI Car," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3368, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3368.
- Samuel S. Morrey D. et al The Most Significant Vehicle Operating Parameter for Real-World Emission Levels SAE technical paper 2004-01-0636
- Takada Y. Miyazaki T. Lida N. Study on Local Air Pollution Caused by NOx from Diesel Freight Vehicle SAE technical paper 2002-01-0651
- Dembski N. Guezennec Y. Soliman A. Analysis and Experimental Refinement of Real-World Driving Cycle SAE technical paper 2002-01-0069
- The Role the Highways Agency in Local Air Quality Management Annex2 Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs UK
- Peter Hans Cozzarini Christian Emissions and Air Quality SAE Reference book R-237 2000
- Montgomery D C. Peck E A. Vining G.G Introduction to Linear Regression Analysis Third 2001
- Johnson R A. Bhattacharyya G K. Statics principles and methods Fourth 2001
- Daham B. Andrews G.E. Li H. Bellesteros R. Bell M. Tate J. Ropkins K. Application of a Portable FTIR for Measuring on road Emissions SAE technical paper 2005-01-0676