This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A New Approach for Three-Dimensional High-Speed Combustion Diagnostics in Internal Combustion Engines
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper introduces a new measuring and analyzing method for the investigation of the spatial flame propagation in IC engines. Three optical high-speed measuring devices are connected and synchronized in order to detect the flame radiation from different perspectives via fiberoptical endoscopes. The resulting two-dimensional images provide a starting basis for the subsequent reconstruction of the three-dimensional flame geometry. The reconstruction is carried out by a newly developed software tool. The capability of the new methodology has been proven in a first test series. A one-cylinder SI engine with direct-injection is operated in both homogeneous and spray-guided stratified injection mode. Intake flow conditions and air/fuel ratio are varied in order to investigate the effects on flame spread. The volumetric flame developments are analyzed as well as the location of the combustion center in absolute coordinates.
CitationHan, K., Velji, A., and Spicher, U., "A New Approach for Three-Dimensional High-Speed Combustion Diagnostics in Internal Combustion Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3315, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3315.
- Spicher, U.: “Untersuchungen über die räumliche Ausbreitung und das Erlöschen der Flamme bei der ottomotorischen Verbrennung”, Ph.D. Thesis, Aachen University of Technology, (in German)
- Philipp, H., Plimon, A., Fernitz, G., Hirsch, A., Fraidl, G., Winklhofer, E.: “A Tomographic Camera System for Combustion Diagnostics in SI Engines”, SAE Paper 950681, 1995
- Wytrykus, F., Duesterwald, R.: “Improving Combustion Process by Using a High Speed UV-sensitive Camera”, SAE Paper 2001-01-0917, 2001
- Fischer, J., Kettner, M., Nauwerck, A., Pfeil, J., Spicher, U.: “Influence of an Adjustable Tumble-System on In-Cylinder Air Motion and Stratification in a Gasoline Direct Injection Engine”, SAE Paper 2002-01-1645, 2002
- Baumgart, B. G.: “Geometric Modeling for Computer Vision”, Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, 1974
- Laurentini, A.: “How Far 3D Shapes Can Be Understood from 2D Silhouettes”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 17, No. 2, 1995
- Niem, W.: “Robust and Fast Modelling of 3D Natural Objects from Multiple Views”, Proceedings ‘Image and Video Processing II’, San Jose, 1994
- Laurentini, A.: “The Visual Hull Concept for Silhouette-Based Image Understanding”, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 16, No. 2, 1994
- Huebner, W., Witt, A., Hoss, B., Albrecht, T., Durst, B., Abdelfattah, A.: “Combined Application of Various Development Methodologies to an Advanced DI Combustion Concept”, 5th Intern. Congress ‘Gasoline Direct Injection Engines’, Germany, 2003