This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of Carbon Dioxide on Combustion in an HCCI Engine with the Ignition-Control by Hydrogen
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A homogeneous-charge compression-ignition (HCCI) engine system that was fuelled with dimethyl ether (DME) and methanol-reformed gas (MRG) has been proposed in the previous research. Adjusting the proportion of DME and MRG can effectively control the ignition timing of the engine. In the system, both fuels are to be produced from methanol in onboard reformers utilizing the engine exhaust gas heat. While hydrogen contained in MRG has the main role of the ignition control, hydrogen increases with carbon dioxide in the methanol reforming. This paper investigates the influence of carbon dioxide on HCCI combustion engine with the ignition control by hydrogen. Both thermal and chemical effects of carbon dioxide are analyzed.
CitationShudo, T., Kitahara, S., and Ogawa, H., "Influence of Carbon Dioxide on Combustion in an HCCI Engine with the Ignition-Control by Hydrogen," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3248, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3248.
- Furutani, M., Ohta, Y., Kono, M., Hasegawa, M., A Ultra-Lean Premixed Compression-Ignition Engine Concept and its Characteristics, Proceedings of COMODIA 98, (1998).
- Shudo, T., Ono, Y., HCCI Combustion of Hydrogen, Carbon Monoxide and Dimethyl Ether, SAE Transactions Journal of Engines, 111-3, SAE Paper 2002-01-0112, (2002).
- Shudo, T., Ono, Y., Takahashi, T., Influence of Hydrogen and Carbon Monoxide on HCCI Combustion of Dimethyl Ether, SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels & Lubricants, 111-4, SAE Paper 2002-01-2828, (2002).
- Shudo, T., Takahashi, T., Influence of Reformed Gas Composition on HCCI Combustion of Onboard Methanol-Reformed Gases, SAE Paper 2004-01-1908, (2004).
- Bercic, G., Levec, J., Catalytic Dehydration of Methanol to Dimethyl Ether Kinetic Investigation and Reactor Simulation, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 32-11, (1993).
- Christensen, M., Johansson, B., Influence of Mixture Quality on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition, SAE Transactions Journal of Fuels & Lubricants, 107-4, SAE Paper 982454, (1998).
- Nakano, M., Mandokoro, Y., Kubo, S., Yamazaki, S., Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation in Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engines, International Journal of Engine Research, 1-3, (2000).
- Dec, J.E., A Computational Study of the Effects of Low Fuel Loading and EGR on Heat Release Rates and Combustion Limits in HCCI Engines, SAE Paper 2002-01-1309, (2002).
- Shudo, T., Nakajima, Y., Tsuga, K., Combustion Characteristics of H2-CO-CO2 Mixture in an IC Engine, SAE Transactions Journal of Engines, 110-3, SAE Paper 2001-01-0252, (2001).
- Fischer, S. L., Dryer, F. L., and Curran, H. J., Reaction Kinetics of Dimethyl Ether. I: High-Temperature Pyrolysis and Oxidation in Flow Reactors, International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 32, (2000).
- Curran, H. J., Fischer, S. L., and Dryer, F. L., The Reaction Kinetics of Dimethyl Ether. II: Low-Temperature Oxidation in Flow Reactors, International Journal of Chemical Kinetics, 32, (2000).
- Yamada, H., Suzaki, K., Tezaki, A., A Study of Low Temperature Oxidation in Engine Using Quadrupole Mass Spectrometer, Proceedings of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan, No.98-01, (2001), (in Japanese).
- Jost, W., Low Temperature Oxidation, Gordon and Breach Science Publishers (1965).
- Sjoeberg, M., Dec, J.D., Babajimopoulos, A., Assanis, D., Comparing Enhanced Natural Thermal Stratification against Retarded Combustion Phasing for Smoothing of HCCI Engine, SAE Paper 2004-01-2994, (2004).
- Sjoeberg, M., Dec, J.D., Cernansky, N.P., Potential of Thermal Stratification and Combustion Retard for Reducing Pressure-Rise Rates in HCCI Engines, Based on Multi-Zone Modeling and Experiments, SAE Paper 2005-01-0113, (2005).
- Sjoeberg, M., Dec, J.D., Combined effects of Fuel-Type and Engine Speed on Intake Temperature Requirements and Completeness of Bulk-Gas Reactions for HCCI Combustion, SAE Paper 2003-01-3173, (2003).
- Shudo, T., Ono, Y., Takahashi, T., Ignition Control by DME-Reformed Gas in HCCI Combustion of DME, SAE Transaction Journal of Fuels & Lubricants, 112-4, SAE Paper 2003-01-1824, (2003).