This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An HCCI Engine Fuelled with Iso-octane and Ethanol
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 16, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper investigates Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion on an engine that is fuelled with ethanol, iso-octane, and ethanol/iso-octane. The engine is a four-stroke three cylinder indirect injection type diesel engine converted to a single cylinder HCCI operation. In order to clarify the effects of fuel chemistry on HCCI combustion, the trials were done at a constant engine speed, a fixed initial charge temperature and engine coolant temperature. The HCCI engine was fuelled with a lean mixture of air and fuel (ethanol, iso-octane or mixture of ethanol/iso-octane).
The engine performance parameters studied here include indicated mean effective pressure (IMEP) and thermal efficiency. Heat-release rate (HRR) analysis was done to determine the effect of fuels on combustion on-set. The experimental results demonstrate that the addition of iso-octane to ethanol retards the on-set of combustion and subsequently leads to a reduction of the IMEP and thermal efficiency. For a particular fuel, the on-set of combustion depends closely on the intake charge temperature (as reported by several other researchers) and any increase in the initial charge temperature leads to advances in the on-set of combustion. Furthermore, the experimental results demonstrate that operating the engine on a lean charge reduces engine-out NOx emissions significantly.
CitationGnanam, G., Sobiesiak, A., Reader, G., and Zhang, C., "An HCCI Engine Fuelled with Iso-octane and Ethanol," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3246, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3246.
- Tabaczynski, R. “Future Powertrain Technologies” ASME ICE Meeting Austin, Texas, USA 2000
- Oakley, A. et al. “Dilution Effects on the Controlled Auto-Ignition (CAI) Combustion of Hydrocarbon and Alcohol Fuels”, “Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines; Key Research and Development Issues ” SAE PT-94
- Guerrieri, D. et al. “Investigation into the Vehicle Exhaust Emissions of High Percentage Ethanol Blends” SAE paper 950777 1995
- Zhao, F. et al. “Homogenous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) Engines; Key Research and Development Issues ” SAE PT-94
- Furutani, M. et al. “An investigation into the effect of fuel composition on HCCI combustion characteristics” Proceedings of Comodia '98 173 177 1998
- Christensen, M. et al. “Demonstrating the Multi Fuel Capacity of a Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Variable Compression Ratio” SAE paper 1999-01-3679 1999
- Cairns, A. Baxill, H. “The Effects of Combined Internal and External EGR on Gasoline Controlled Auto-Ignition” SAE paper 2005-01-0133
- Zhang, Y. et al. “The Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Ethanol on a Port Fuel Injection HCCI Engine” SAE paper 2006-01-0631
- Mack, J.H. et al. “Investigation of HCCI combustion of diethyl ether and ethanol mixtures using carbon 14 tracing and numerical simulations” Proceedings of the Combustion Institute 30 2 2693 2700 2005
- Lü, X. et al. “Experimental study on the auto-ignition and combustion characteristics in the HCCI combustion operation with ethanol/n-heptane blend fuels by port injection” Fuel, In Press, Uncorrected Proof 8 June 2006
- Zoldak, P. “Design of a Research Engine for HCCI Combustion” University of Windsor 2005
- Tanaka, S. et al. “Two-stage ignition in HCCI combustion and HCCI control by fuel and additives” Combustion and Flame 132 219 239 2003
- Marriott, C. D Reitz, R.D. “Experimental Investigation of Direct Injection Gasoline for Premixed Compression Ignited Combustion Phasing Control” SAE paper 2002-01-0418
- Martinez-Frias, J. et al. “HCCI Engine Control by Thermal Management” SAE paper 2000-01-2869
- Ayoma, T. et al. “An Experimental Study on Premixed-Charge Compression Ignition Gasoline Engine” SAE paper 960081
- Pucher, G. et al. “Alternative Combustion Systems for Piston Engines Involving Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Concepts - A Review of Studies Using Methanol, Gasoline and Diesel Fuel” SAE paper 962063
- Christensen, M. Johansson, B. “Supercharged Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE paper 980787
- Xie, H. et al. “Comparison of HCCI Combustion Respectively Fueled with Gasoline, Ethanol and Methanol through Trapped Residual Gas Strategy” SAE paper 2006-01-0635
- Christensen, M Johansson, B. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with Water Injection” SAE paper 1999-01-0182
- Van Blarigan., P. et al. “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with a Free Piston: A New Approach to Ideal Otto Cycle Performance” SAE paper 982484