This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Non-linear Aspects of Friction Material Elastic Constants
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 08, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this report, we describe the ultrasonic measurement process applied to a series of three brake pad materials with varying degrees of load-dependent, non-linear behavior. For each material type, we measure the spatial variation of the ultrasonic velocity and the spatial variation of ultrasonic attenuation on several, as-manufactured, brake pads. We correlate these ultrasonic test results with those obtained by conventional compressibility tests. Subsequently, we destructively analyze each friction material. The load-dependence of the through-the-thickness longitudinal and shear velocity is measured using static loads ranging from 0.5 MPa to 8.0 MPa. For selected friction materials exhibiting significant variations in velocity with load, we compute the full set of engineering constants. Our analysis includes computation of the Young's modulus, shear modulus, and Poisson's ratios as a function of load. We discuss the sensitivity and repeatability of the methods and their application to both material formulation development and improved material uniformity.
|Technical Paper||Comparison Between Different Investigation Methods of Quasi-Static and Dynamic Brake Pad Behaviour|
|Technical Paper||Surface Topography and Wear Dynamics of Brake Pads|
|Technical Paper||The Role of Climatic Conditions on Disc Brake Noise|
CitationYuhas, D., Ding, J., and Venkatesan, S., "Non-linear Aspects of Friction Material Elastic Constants," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3193, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-3193.
- Schreiber, E. Anderson, O.L. Soga, M. Elastic Constants and Their Measurement McGraw-Hill New York 1973
- Truell, R. Elbaum, C. Chick, B.B. Ultrasonic Methods in Solid State Physics Academic New York 1969
- Thurston, R.N. Physical Acoustics 1 Mason W.P. Thurston R.N. Academic Press New York 1964
- Every, A.G. McCurdy, A.K. Landolt-Bornstein New Series Group II 29a Madelung Springer, Berlin 1992
- Every A.G. “Determination of the Elastic Constants of Anisotropic Solids” NDT International 27 1 3 1993
- Yuhas D.E. Yuhas M.P. “Friction Material Elastic Constant Measurements” Disc Brake Squeal- Mechanism, Analysis, Evaluation, and Reduction Quaglia R.L. Tan C.A. Chen F. SAE December 2005