This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of the perceived sound quality of an automotive HVAC system
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The noise emitted by the heating, ventilation and air conditioning system (HVAC) has a great influence on the car acoustical comfort and quality perception. To improve its sound quality, physical properties which determine the subjective perception have to be identified. The HVAC-noise of twelve cars in different arrangements of fan speed and direction of air flow was recorded for later objective and subjective analysis. All cars were of the same model, but with three different types of HVAC-systems, and had just been manufactured. Objective analysis with sound quality software and subjective evaluations was carried out. Using multiple linear regressions on the subjective data, relations between subjective results and psychoacoustic metrics were determined and models to predict subjective response to HVAC sounds are proposed. It is shown that the annoyance caused by the HVAC-noise can be satisfactorily described by Zwicker's stationary loudness model.
|Technical Paper||Aeroacoustics Predictions of Automotive HVAC Systems|
|Technical Paper||Correlating HVAC Vehicle Interior Noise to Sub-system Measurements|
|Technical Paper||Aeroacoustic Characteristics of Automotive HVAC Systems|
CitationLeite, R., Paul, S., and Gerges, S., "Investigation of the perceived sound quality of an automotive HVAC system," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2652, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2652.
- ROUSSARIE, V. et al. What's so hot about sound? - influence of HVAC sounds on thermal comfort 07-10 August 2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Proceedings of the 2005 Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering 2005
- PAUL, S. A First Exploration of Auditory Descriptors for Brazilian Portuguese 07-10 August 2005 Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Proceedings of the 2005 Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering 2005
- OSGOOD, C. E. SUCI, G. J. TANNENBAUM, P. H. The measurement of meaning Urbana University of Illinois Press 1975 346
- GUSKI, R. Psychological Methods for Evaluating Sound Quality and Assessing Acoustic Information ACUSTICA - acta acustica 83 765 774 1997
- ZWICKER, E. FASTL, H. Psychoacoustics: Facts and Models 2nd Berlin Springer-Verlag 1999 416
- LEITE, R. P. Estudo do ruído do sistema de ventilação automobilística (Study of the Noise of the Automotive Ventilation System) 2006 Postgraduation Program in Mechanical Engineering, Federal University of Santa Catarina Florianópolis, Brazil