This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Contribution for Statistical Engineering through a case study applying Shainin Red X strategies method
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Developed to help the engineers to find out the root cause for a specific failure, the Statistical Engineering by Shainin method (Red X) is being used as one of the best methodologies for problem resolution and also being more and more applied inside the automotive industry.
The objective of this paper is to present the main phases of this methodology applied in a case study, where will be seen the process of problem identification and resolution, presenting the benefits and difficulties obtained with the application of Statistical Engineering as problem resolution methodology for a non-measurable item. It will not be shown all the alternatives and tools of the method, but the ones that were applied in the case study that handle with a failure on the front corner assembly in a compact vehicle.
CitationEugênio, M., "Contribution for Statistical Engineering through a case study applying Shainin Red X strategies method," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2542, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2542.
- GENERAL MOTORS UNIVERSITY Red X Strategies - Apprentice Guide Line Quality College Detroit January 9th 2001
- MOORE, OMAR M. Dinâmica de Veículos 2005
- SCHREINER, W. Shainin approch to chronic problem solving November 18th 2003
- ANTONY, J CHENG, ALFRED H.Y. Training for Shainin's approach to experimental design using a catapult September 6th 2004 Conventry, UK
- PIMENTEL, ANDREI R. Considerações sobre TRIZ e sua aplicação no Desenvolvimento de Software March 18th 2003
- BHOTE, KEKI R. BHOTE, ADI K. World Class Quality: Using Design of Experiments to Make It Happen 2nd McGraw-Hill US 2000
- ANTONY, J. 1999 Spotting the key variables using Shainin's variables search technique Journal of Logistics and Information Management 12 4 325 31
- ANTONY, J. KAYE, M. 2000 Experimental Quality Kluwer Academic Publishers Norwell, MA
- BHOTE, K.R. 1988 Strategic Supply Management American Management Association New York, NY
- BHOTE, K.R. 1991 World Class Quality American Management Association New York, NY
- GOODMAN, J. WYLD, D.C. 2001 The hunt for the red X: a cast study in the use of Shainin design of experiments in industrial honing operations Management Research News 24 7 8 1 17
- LEDOLTER, J. SWERSEY, A. 1997 Dorian Shainin's variables search procedure: a critical assessment Journal of Quality Technology 29 3 237 47
- LOGOTHETIS, N. 1990 A perspective on Shainin's approach to experimental design for quality improvement Quality and Reliability Engineering International 6 195 202
- SHAININ, D. SHAININ, P. 1988 Better than Taguchi orthogonal array tables Quality and Reliability Engineering International 4 143 9
- TAGUSHI, G. 1987 System of Experimental Design Kraus International Publication UNIPUB New York, NY
- LAMOTHE, CHRISTOPHER P. Quality and Effective Problem Solving for the New Millenium IIE Meeting, General Motors, Truck Product Center - East 1999 Centerpoint Parkway, Pontiac, Michigan
- QUALITY SOLUTIONS CONSULT http://www.qsconsult.be/ESTShainin.htm