This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Liner Vibration and Cavitation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In diesel engines, the cylinder liner is one of the places more susceptible to have cavitation. The cavitation process consists in creation (vaporization) of steam bubbles of liquid, and consequence brusque disappearance (condensation) of the same ones in the liquid. When this disappearance or implosion occurs next to the liner surface provokes erosion of the same one. This phenomenon basically occurs from the liner vibration or strangulation of the water flow, that they provoke high speed of the cooling fluid (equation of Bernoulli) .
Along a stream line:
In this paper we will analyze how the liner vibration is related to the cavitation process, what is the source and how the easiest way to solve it.
The methodology used was:
- Crank domain analysis,
- Abusive test, in order to accelerate the failure reproduction,
- Counter measure check, by vibration analysis & validation, by abusive test.
CitationGlyniadakis, G., DAgostini, M., and Casagrande, M., "Liner Vibration and Cavitation," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2512, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2512.
- DEMARCHI VALMIR WINDLIN FERNANDO L. Cavitation Erosion On Cylinder Liners Paper 952250 São Paulo SAE BRASIL 1995
- AFFENZELLER, J SCHREIBER, E. JANISCH, H. Some Investigations About The Cavitation On Cylinder Liners Of Diesel Engines Asme Paper nr. 80-DGP-27 New York The American Society of Mechanical Engineers 1980
- HOSNY, D.M. et al. A System Approach For The Assessment Of Cavitation Corrosion Damage Of Cylinder Liners In Internal Combustion Engines SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr. 930581 Warrendale SAE International 1993
- AFFENZELLER, J SCHREIBER, E. JANISCH, H. Nachweis Von Kavitation An Zylinderbuchsen Mittels Quarzdruckgebem MTZ Motortechnische Zeitschrift 41 11 499 505 1980
- HUDGENS, R.D. et al. Refinement of the Vibratory Cavitation Erosion Test for the Screening of Diesel Cooling System Corrosion Inhibitors Engine Coolant Testing; State of the Art. ASTM STP 705. American Society for Testing and Materials 1980
- LOWE, A.S.H. An Analytical Technique for Assessing Cylinder Liner Cavitation Erosion SAE Technical Paper Series, Paper nr 900134 Warrendale SAE International 1990
- GREEN, G.W. ENGELSTAD, R.L. A Technique For The Analysis of Cylinder Liner Vibrations and Cavitation SAE Techical Paper Series, Paper nr. 930582 Warrendale SAE International 1993
- YONEZAWA, T. KANDA, H. Analysis Of Cavitation Erosion on Cylinder Liner and Cylinder Block SAE Techical Paper Series, Paper nr. 850401 Warrendale SAE International 1985
- ZHOU, Y HAMMITT, F.G. Cavitation Damage of Diesel Engine Wet Cylinder Liners SAE Techical Paper Series, Paper nr. 900437 Warrendale SAE International 1990
- RETOLAZA, J. Further Developments in the Manufacture and Applications of Steel Chrome Plated Cylinder Liners with Special Reference to Cavitation and Erosion Problems on the Water Side SAE Techical Paper Series, Paper nr. 740315 New York SAE International 1974
- HEYWOOD, JOHN B “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” Mac Graw-Hill 1988
- WYLEN VAN “Fundamentos da Termodinâmica” 1998
- STREET VANNARD “Elementos da Mecânica do Fluido” 1978