This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flight Without Fuel – Regenerative Soaring Feasibility Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published August 30, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The principles of regenerative soaring with a dual-role propeller and windmill, or “windprop,” are described. Emphasizing the aerodynamic design and performance of the vehicle and windprop, principles of regenerative flight are derived. Approximate models of atmospheric updraft velocity are suggested. Regenerative aircraft total energy is defined, and the rate of change thereof is studied. We find that regenerative soaring appears both feasible and attractive in relation to classical soaring. In addition, the study reveals good efficiency for both propeller and windmill modes.
CitationBarnes, J., "Flight Without Fuel – Regenerative Soaring Feasibility Study," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2422, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2422.
- Glauert, H. “Elements of Aerofoil and Airscrew Theory,” Cambridge University Press 1926
- MacCready, P. “Regenerative Battery-Augmented Soaring,” Technical Soaring XXIII 1 1998
- Chen, M.K. McMasters, J.H. “From Paleoaeronautics to Altostratus - A Technical History of Soaring,” 1981
- Carmichael, B. “The Collected Sailplane Articles and Soaring Misadventures of Bruce Carmichael,” Carmichael 2000
- Barnes, P. “How Flies the Albatross - the Flight Mechanics of Dynamic Soaring,” SAE 2004-01-3088 2004
- Allen, M. “Updraft Model for Development of Autonomous Soaring Uninhabited Air Vehicles,” AIAA
- Scorer, R. “Dynamics of Meteorology and Climate,” Wiley 1997 181 311 315 325 328 353 548 549
- Angevine, W. “Thermal Structure and Behavior,” Sailplane&Electric Modeler Dec-Jan 1999
- Barnes, J. Philip Math Modeling of Propeller Geometry and Aerodynamics SAE 1999-01-1581 1999
- Barnes, J. Philip Math Modeling of Airfoil Geometry SAE 961317 1996
- Barnes, P. Semi-Empirical Vortex-Step Method for Lift and Induced-Drag Loading of 2D and 3D Wings SAE 975559 1997
- Gur, O. Rosen, A. “Propeller Performance at Low Advance Ratio,” J. Aircraft 42 2 Mar-April 2005